Basic UserBasic User

Mar 03, 2006#11

runbei wrote:
    I've used WordStar key bindings since 1982. I can get by with single-key substitutes for some of the full WS ^K-/^Q- combinations. E.g., ^Q is delete to end of line, ^L is delete left word, ^K delete left character.
    I've been used to the WordStar keyboard layout almost that long (1984), and that doesn't quite cut it, because ^L means "repeat last find or replace." ^G means Del (delete current character) and ^H means Backspace (delete character to the left of the cursor).
    Boxer has it (in a wonderfully clean and simple remap implementation).
    This is factually incorrect; Boxer can't do multi-key mappings either. It's genuinely mystifying to me that any modern editor is missing this capability. Like I said in my previous post, this is a show-stopper for some people.
    I'm trying to make IDM sufficiently jealous and insecure that they'll write the code tonight.
    I've written to IDM about this. I don't hold out much hope that this capability will get added very soon.
    Really, it is possible to do a lot with single-ctrl-key commands. Don't get me started on the brain-dead keyboard layout of WordStar. Streeeetch your pinky to ^Q - when ^M ("move!") isn't used? And no Delete Word Left command?
    Whether you happen to prefer WordStar's key mappings is not the point. (For the record, ^M is a carriage return.) The point here is that UE's keyboard mapping mechanism is extremely weak and prevents people from really using a layout they prefer.

What UE really needs is its own built-in programming language and an open keyboard layout that supports multi-key mappings. TSE Pro is an excellent example of how it ought to work.

Regards,

Bill

NewbieNewbie

Mar 08, 2006#12

I just found this post by googling for "emacs ultraedit" and hitting "I'm feeling lucky". My company uses Ultraedit and for the most part I like it. But I am constantly switching between Linux and Windows. As such I am constantly switching between Emacs and Ultraedit. I have been an Emacs user for 5-8 years or so. But am new to Ultraedit.

I REALLY WANT EMACS KEYBINDINGS IN ULTRAEDIT!

That being said I think there are a lot of people like me. Don't think this is just a fluff feature or a nice to have. My fingers have a memory longer than my mind does and I am tired of learning new key bindings. And Emacs for Windows really does suck.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 08, 2006#13

Hi smutt,

Write to [email protected] and tell them that we need a more flexible keybinding mechanism (so you can have emacs, and I can have WordStar). Post this thread's URL in your message so they can see this conversation. I doubt this will happen soon, but if we keep annoying them then maybe it will actually get on the "to do" list.

Regards,

Bill

NewbieNewbie

Mar 31, 2006#14

p.p.s. Ignoring that the person who corrected me misinterpreted my statements...

Vedit has a set of WordStar key bindings (EMACS, too? I don't know), and you can customize the WS set as I suggested above - e.g., changing ^L to "delete word left," ^Qx to ^Mx, etc.

Still, I really like UE now, and I've decided to live with the single-key macros I've defined for WS-like editing.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 31, 2006#15

Hi runbei,

Sorry for the misinterpretation.

However, I stand by my statement that it's mystifying that a modern text editor can't do simple multi-keystroke bindings. I contend that UE will not be taken seriously by many programmers until this happens.

Regards,

Bill

Oct 13, 2006#16

Everyone,

I am happy to report that UltraEdit 12.20 now supports multi-key (chord) keystrokes. They don't work for macros (yet), but it will definitely make me more productive.

Edit: Chords for macros are supported since UE v13.10.

Bill

Read more posts (1 remaining)