Text pasted from MS Word doesn't display correctly

Text pasted from MS Word doesn't display correctly

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 28, 2005#1

I'm sorry to rehash this if it's already been discussed. I did a search in the Forums and just didn't see any solution. I'm working on an HTML project with most text coming from Word. Unfortunately, text I copy from Word and paste into UE doesn't display some characters. For example, "curly" apostrophes (single quotes) and quote marks as well as em-dashes are just not displayed in UE at all. When I view the file in a browser, the characters are usually displayed correctly. However, I need to edit the characters, supplying the appropriate characters for display on the widest variety of systems. I've played with some of the File>Convert commands, but I think I'm making matters worse.

Would someone please point me to a spot in the Help or another Forum thread, or share their experience with this? I apologize for not being more savvy about the formats used by MS Word.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 27, 2006#2

Maybe the same issue as discussed at unicode programs copy - paste to/from UltraEdit. The characters you listed are all Unicode characters and the appropriate code page must be set for correct pasting. Maybe you must have also an Unicode/UTF-8 file open in UltraEdit to paste it correctly.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Re: Text pasted from MS Word doesn't display correctly

May 30, 2006#3

Thanks for the help, Mofi! I've gotten into the habit of doing a Format>ANSI to OEM after a lot of cut and paste. It works a treat, and I don't have to deal with Unicode characters. Thanks, again!

Mary