Hotkeys for Java

Hotkeys for Java

lightminute

Sep 13, 2005#1

Hi, all. I'm new to the forums and for the most part to UE. My intro Java course at one university preferred UE for working with java programming. I started another course tonight that prefers to use TextPad.

I prefer to use UE, for whatever reason but one difference between the two programs is keeping me from this. Working with java files in Textpad allows you to compile and run VERY quickly by using hotkeys. It's "control + 1" to compile and "control + 2" to run. In UE, I have always pressed F9 to get the DOS command window and typed in the command if it wasn't already there (and if it was, I still had to select it from the dropdown menu).

I was playing with the configs and looking through the forum but could not find any such function in UE. The only thing I can think of is that this might be a macro you set up (if you can't tell, I don't know anything about macros)? Could someone point me in the right direction if this is even possible. I would like to keep using UE but the speed at which I can compile and run is important in the class I'm taking because it is very fast paced.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 13, 2005#2

Look at Advanced - Tool Configuration - see also help for this dialog. Create a tool setup for compile with Java and one for run with Java. You can even define your personal icons for this 2 tools. Then you can add this 2 tools to any buttonbar or assign hotkeys to the tools you like at Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping - AdvancedUserTool1 and 2.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jun 09, 2006#3

I used the tool configuration to create a run and compile for java
        here are the setup:

run:

C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin\java.exe %F - command line
        dos command - program type
        show dos box

compile
        C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin\javac.exe "%f" - command line
        dos command - program type
        show dos box

However the compile keys are running but the run command is giving this error "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: C:\JAVATR~1\SUM~1/JAV
        Exception in thread "main" " ... i tried running my program using command window and it's running correctly.. what is the proper setup ...

pls...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 09, 2006#4

Why do you not use also "%f" instead of %F for the run tool?
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jun 14, 2006#5

read a post here tried this setup

java %n - command line

%p - working dir

considering the program is also on the same dir as the java.exe files

the thing is my program files are located in another dir ... tried playing with the setup for the run command but i cannot find the right combination
            the compile command is running properly where the program files is seperated from the bin files, why is it the run command does not work.. pls help me what is the right combination