Coding PERL in UltraEdit

Coding PERL in UltraEdit

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 07, 2006#1

I am running/testing PERL using the DOS command function. It works fine for most things - i.e. it runs the script and shows the output/response in a new command output tab. However, I want to use it with a line in the program such as:
    $foo = <STDIN>
    and it will need to receive information from the command line before moving past this line.
    I thought it would wait for a response in the command output tab, but it stops and waits for input somewhere I can't see: i.e. it stops and the run DOS button is greyed out. Is it possible to run and accept input from within UltraEdit?. I can always run it from a command prompt, but it is nicer to do the test cycles without having to switch back and forth.
    I am using version 10.10c
    Thanks,
    Jane

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 07, 2006#2

Have you enabled Show DOS Box for your Perl user tool?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 07, 2006#3

Initially I had tried that, and also Alternate Capture Method. For many of the programs without <STDIN> it was distracting having the window flashing on and off each cycle.
        If the <STDIN> is included in a loop which gets input, processes the input, then prints something, then loops again for e.g 5 times, UltraEdit does not process the post input steps after each input, but rather you have to enter input 5 times in the same screen before it goes back and finishes processing. Also, sometimes it would become unresponsive and I would have to restart UltraEdit so I turned it off.
        However, for single pass input it seems to be behaving so far.
        Thanks for your help,
        Jane