Can I switch menu between two or more languages?

Can I switch menu between two or more languages?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 17, 2006#1

First I install UltraEdit/UEStudio in Chinese, but later I want to use English menus. What should I do?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 17, 2006#2

The menu configurations are stored in text files with the extension mfg and the popup menu configurations in files with the extension pfg. The toolbar configuration files tfg are language independent (contains only IDs).

These configuration files are in the same directory as the INI you use (by default uedit32.ini or uestudio.ini in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\ProgName\). On first run or after an upgrade uedit32.exe or uestudio.exe creates or updates Advanced.* and Basic.* with the IDs of the EXE and the language strings from its resource DLL.

So what you need is for example Advanced.mfg and Advanced.pfg from an English installation. Copy these 2 files (and maybe also Advanced.tfg for a complete set) to your existing Chinese configuration files with a different file name like English.*.

How to get the English version of the configuration files?

Well, you have to move your existing Chinese configuration files temporarily to a different directory. Then you have to backup the Chinese version of ueres.dll or uesres.dll and replace it with the English version. You can get the DLL for the current version only from the hotfixes - see the hotfix FTP directory.

Attention: Look at the file dates of the DLLs. For a brand-new version often no new hotfix zip package is available.

Now start the Englisch version of UE/UES and it will create the English configuration files Advanced.* and Basic.* you need. Close UE/UES and rename the English configuration files and move the Chinese config files back and also replace the English resource DLL again with the Chinese one.

Don't forget to do the procedure again, when a new Chinese version of UE/UES after an upgrade updates your Chinese standard menus to also update the English config files.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 17, 2006#3

That's comprehensive. Thanks, man!