Toolbar Truncates

Toolbar Truncates

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 19, 2006#1

Has anyone else noticed that when using certain Visual Styles with UltraEdit 12.10a, a custom toolbar gets truncated? Is there a way to fix this? I've tried using small icons, but the entire toolbar still does not appear.

Also, why does it appear that there is a separator underneath the "Find" icon? I only specified one separator ....

Thank you!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 19, 2006#2

Maybe your toolbar configuration file toolbar name.tfg in the directory of the INI you currently use (default is uedit32.ini in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit) is a damaged. Open it with UltraEdit and check for 2 lines with only S (separator) or other mistake.

Here is an example:

Personal·{
      »B·ID_FILE_NEW·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_OPEN·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_CLOSE·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_CLOSEALL·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_SAVE·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_SAVE_ALL·¶
      »S
      »B·ID_FILE_PRINT·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_PRINT_PREVIEW·¶
      »B·ID_PAGE_SETUP·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_PRINT_SETUP·¶
      »S
      »B·ID_EDIT_CUT·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_COPY·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_PASTE·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_UNDO·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_REDO·¶
      »S
      »WC·100·ID_TB_COMBO_FIND
      »B·ID_EDIT_FIND·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_FINDNEXT·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_FINDPREV·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_REPLACE·¶
      »B·ID_FINDINFILES·¶
      »B·ID_REPLACEINFILES·¶
      »B·ID_BACK·¶
      »B·ID_FORWARD·¶
      »B·ID_MATCHBRACE·¶
      »B·ID_FIND_TAG·¶
      »S
      »B·ID_EDIT_COLUMN·¶
      »B·ID_EDIT_HEX·¶
      »B·ID_READONLY·¶
      »B·ID_ASCII_TABLE·¶
      »B·CG_ID_VIEW_FUNCLIST·¶
      »B·ID_FILE_COMPAREFILES·¶
      »B·ID_TOOLUSER1·¶
      }

» is a place holder for a horizontal tab.
      · is a place holder for a space character.
      is a place holder for carriage return and linefeed. (Yes, it's a DOS file.)

You can see that the line with WC 100 ID_TB_COMBO_FIND is different than the other lines. There is no trailing space and it has a special code followed by a number. This number is the width of the find item in pixels.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 19, 2006#3

No, there is no space or tab after WC 100 ID_TB_COMBO_FIND on my toolbar ....

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 20, 2006#4

Could you upload your tfg file packed with zip or rar anywhere (not here because not possible) and post a link to the file, so I can test your toolbar config file on my computers?

Which icon size do you use and which Windows visual styles? You can save the Windows visual styles also to a *.theme file and pack it also into the zip or rar archive.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 21, 2006#5

Hi Mofi,

You can find the Visual Style, my *.theme file, and my *.tfg file at (removed). I use the "Large Icons" in UltraEdit, but the problem also appears with small icons.

I appreciate all your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 21, 2006#6

Okay, I have downloaded the zip-file and used your toolbar and it looks fine with large and small icons. Next I wanted to load your Windows theme, but my Windows XP SP2 denied it with a long error message. I looked into the theme file and have seen that the paths are wrong for my computer.

But I have also seen Longho~2. Are you using Windows Vista Beta?

UltraEdit is not written for Windows Vista. If you really use Windows Vista (or Longhorn as it was named before) you should better report these problems Microsoft because it is a compatibility problem of Vista.

The small vertical line below the Search Box is normal with Large Icons, but it should be exactly in the middle of the find box. As I can see in your screenshot this is not on your computer. So UE handles the width of this box wrong which could cause the problem with the toolbar truncation. Move the Search Box to the end of the toolbar just to see what happens.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 22, 2006#7

I am not using Vista. I use Vista-esque icons on my computer, and that's where the Longho~2 came from.

When I move the Search Box to the end of the toolbar, the toolbar still truncates using both large and small icons. Also, when I remove the Search Box, the toolbar still truncates. I also played around with the toolbar settings tonight, and I notice that even the "Basic" and "Advanced" default toolbars get truncated.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 22, 2006#8

Okay. My last ideas about what you can try to find out which setting is causing the problem.

After you have saved your theme you can temporarily switch to the Windows XP or Windows Classic standard theme. Restart UltraEdit after switching to one of the standard themes and look again on the toolbar.

Last it could be that the toolbar settings in the uedit32.ini or the registry are damaged. First rename your uedit32.ini and then start UltraEdit. UE will create a new uedit32.ini with the default settings. Are the toolbars looking well, an INI setting is the problem. But it would be a hard job to find out then which setting in your INI is causing the problem.

If you have enabled Application Layout - Advanced - Use Registry for settings (not INI file) you have to export the whole branch key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit

to a reg file for backup and later restore the settings again by importing it. Then delete the whole key and start UltraEdit again.

Alternatively you can use Advanced - Export Settings and/or Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations before trying to find the toolbar causing problem by using UE temporarily with it's default settings.

If nothing helps, contact IDM support by email. Maybe IDM knows what's causing the toolbar truncation.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 23, 2006#9

Re-creating my INI file does not fix the issue. I've spoken to support, and they simply state that they don't support "themers". This issue only happens when using certain Visual Styles, so I'm guessing it's the style and UltraEdit.

Thanks for all your help! :)