Finding strings and placing into new file

Finding strings and placing into new file

NewbieNewbie

Jul 29, 2004#1

I tried searching for a string that I defined in "Find in files". I was able to find it (having multiple occurances) and I would like to send the results to a new file. However, when I turn on "Results to edit window" (so I can save the results) it sends the full path of the file to the edit window as well as the search string data. The bottom line is I only the actual data defined by my search in my new file, not other misc information.

Help. I am new to this.

Thanks
    Steve

:?:

MasterMaster

Jul 29, 2004#2

Hi, and welcome.

This macro looks okay on my system. Just run it after you have the search results displayed. If you don't like the results, say something and we'll get it right.

Make sure you check the "Continue if a Find With Replace Not Found" box when you create the macro.

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      HexOff
      UnixReOn
      Find RegExp "^[A-Z][:].+[:] "
      Replace All ""
      Find RegExp "^Find.+\p"
      Replace All ""
      Find RegExp "^Found.+\p"
      Replace All ""
      Find RegExp "^Search.+\p"
      Replace All ""
      Find RegExp "^----.+\p"
      Replace All ""

NewbieNewbie

Jul 29, 2004#3

I get an error message when I try to close and update the macro. "Incorrect macro command in macroline". I did see in your response the line: Find RegExp "^[A-Z][:].+[:] " has a space between the last [:] and the end quote. So, I did try changing it to Find RegExp "^[A-Z][:].+[:]" instead. This had no effect. I am on version 10.20b if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Steve

MasterMaster

Jul 29, 2004#4

You've run into the "extra blank line at the end of the macro" error. :D