Enter sets horizontal scrollbar back to the left

Enter sets horizontal scrollbar back to the left

NewbieNewbie

Sep 26, 2006#1

Hello,

I've tried to search for the solution myself, but I couldn't find it on this forums. My problem is very simple, but very annoying.

An image says more than a thousand words:

Can UEdit do this, that when I press enter it does not place the horizontal scroll bar all back to the left?

MasterMaster

Sep 26, 2006#2

Hi,

I just tried it myself; you're right. I suppose you need that behavior when working with heavily indented, long lines. I guess that in this case, this really might be the better way to handle it. However, in "normal" programming situations, I do expect to return to the leftmost part of the visible screen after typing Enter (say, after a very long line). In this case, I would not want to return only to the current indentation level. So your feature request needs to be something configurable that could be switched on or off, depending on current needs. I haven't found anything in the configuration dialogs, maybe Mofi has an idea? Otherwise, you'd need to send a feature request to [email protected]...

Best greetings,
      Tim

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 26, 2006#3

I agree 100% with Tim. For "normal" programming situations without heavily indented long lines the return to the leftmost part of the visible screen is best.

I have years ago checked how many characters I can print on a A4 page with my prefered page borders and fonts and adjusted the 2 column markers and the edit window size to that maximum. So whenever I reach the active column marker or the window border I automatically know, time to break the line in 2 parts. First column marker is set to 76, 2nd to 106 and the window border to 125. Which limit I use depends on type of the current file.

I also don't know any configuration setting where you can change the behaviour on enter for the visible area. I agree that the method you want would be better when writing on heavily indented long lines. I think too, you need to send a feature request email to IDM support.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria