japanese unicode spacing problem

japanese unicode spacing problem

NewbieNewbie

May 20, 2005#1

latest uedit (11.10a and tested with 11.10+2)

when file contains japanese characters, any cursor motion in selecting the text causes a 'motion' of the characters, they compress and expand making it impossible to read the line

the spacing of the characters is also a problem, uedit makes an ultrawide blank space between the characters

see picture at http://tinypic.com/5a3pzl

NewbieNewbie

Jun 28, 2005#2

I use UltraEdit with Japanese on a daily basis, and I've never seen anything like that except when using third-party Japanese display tools like NJStar on UTF-8 text.

Make sure you have Windows properly configured to handle Japanese, and make sure you're using an appropriate font.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 21, 2005#3

I'm having the same problem with double byte Chinese data. This is happening with Windows configured to the English language settings. Changing the Windows language settings to the correct language (Simplified Chinese in my case) fixes the problem, but it would be really nice not to have to change language settings (which requires a reboot) to get the characters to display properly, since I deal with lots of different languages and character sets regularly. Choosing the appropriate codepage in Ultraedit should be enough, but unfortunately the codepage selection doesn't seem to do anything.

I've seen other text editors have the same problem (Textpad, to name one) and the only one that seems to handle this OK is EmEditor (which unfortunately isn't anywhere near as good as Ultraedit for most other things).

I'd buy a few copies of Ultraedit for use in the company I work for, if this worked properly.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2005#4

uedit32 wrote:When file contains japanese characters, any cursor motion in selecting the text causes a 'motion' of the characters, they compress and expand making it impossible to read the line

the spacing of the characters is also a problem, uedit makes an ultrawide blank space between the characters
          Yes, I also have this problem.

I have done a test and found that up till 10.10c it still works properly.
          But from 10.20a onwards, the problem as you described appears.

As bgreen has said, changing the Windows language setting to Japanese will solve the problem, but it surely can be solved by the UltraEdit programmers.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 12, 2005#5

I've now reported this issue to IDM support, and they have confirmed that they have been able to reproduce. The issue has now been passed on to their developers.

Nov 27, 2006#6

I'd forgotten about this, but recently returned to try out UltraEdit again. I can confirm that this issue has been fixed in version 12.20a+4. Thanks IDM, this is very useful to me. You've just sold another few UltraEdit licenses!