Show File In Default Browser Problem

Show File In Default Browser Problem

NewbieNewbie

Sep 27, 2006#1

I have used UltraEdit around 10 times. On opening it asked me if I wanted UltraEdit to be the default program for a list of different file types. I said yes to all of them.

Immediately after that when I clicked on the Show File In Default Browser button, it no longer opened my html page in FireFox, but instead just opened another copy of the code in UltraEdit.

I am sure I just need to change my preferences somewhere, but I don't know where.

Thanks,
    dk

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 27, 2006#2

Well, it was not a good idea to simply say yes to all without viewing which file types are then opened with UE instead of the previous associated program. Files with the extension .html or .htm should not be associated with UltraEdit or you can't open a HTML file anymore with your prefered browser by double clicking on it or use the Show File In Default Browser button in UltraEdit (same as double click in Windows Explorer).

Delete the association of UltraEdit to .html and .htm files in the Configuration - File Associations dialog of UltraEdit. UltraEdit will restore at this action the previous association - open HTML files with FireFox.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 27, 2006#3

:D I am very pleased!
        I moved over to UltraEdit from Adobe Go Live, the problem I ran into was lousy customer support. I get this answer very fast!, and no fee!

Thank you so much!
        dk in La Jolla California

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 05, 2006#4

I actually like UE being associated with HTML files (but I spend a lot of time working with them). In order to be able to view an HTML file in a browser, I added tools for each of my browsers.

Here's my Firefox tool:

Command tab
          ----------------
          Menu Item Name: Firefox Browser
          Command Line: C:\apps\browsers\firefox\firefox.exe "%f"

Options
          ---------
          Program Type: Windows Program "on"
          Save Active File: "on"

I don't think I changed anything on the Output tab.

Each time I click the icon for Firefox, the page I have open in UE appears in a FF tab. If the file has not been saved after making changes, UE saves it first, then displays it. Each time the tool is used, I get a new tab in FF (and a new Window in IE), so I end up with a lot of tabs. To get around that, once I've used one of the browser tools, I toggle between UE and the browser. If there's a way to make the tool return to the same tab, I haven't figured it out.