How to auto-save in Unix format?

How to auto-save in Unix format?

NewbieNewbie

Nov 24, 2004#1

We use linux servers here at my office and access these files via samba. What happens with Uedit is I open my unix format file in the editor, I make a few changes to this file and then save it. The status bar still says unix format and it has not changed the overall file format.

However what is happening is the few changes I have made are in DOS format including line endings, etc. I *think* I could do the DOS > Unix conversion each and every time before saving to ensure the ENTIRE file is in Unix format and it would take care of it but this seems ridiculous to have to do.

I know this is happening because others in my office (who use EditPlus) have told me that they have to change my "white space" here and there back to Unix format.

Anyone know a fix for this - even a kludge?

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 25, 2004#2

Have you tried changing the INI setting:

Default File Type = 0, 1 or 2

This setting determines the default file type for NEW files created within UltraEdit. The default (0) is for DOS files. Set this to 1 for UNIX files, or 2 for MAC files.

Or perhaps the configuration option:

Save file as input format (UNIX/MAC/DOS)

This option instructs UltraEdit to automatically save the file as the original format (UNIX/MAC) when saved unless it was manually converted after opening.

Sounds like the latter might be all you need.

HTH,

Dan

Nov 25, 2004#3

Actually, you'll probably also want to disable this configuration setting as well:

Unix/Mac file detection/conversion
        - Disable
        - Detect file type and prompt to change
        - Automatically convert to DOS format

These options allow the user to determine if UltraEdit should automatically detect and convert UNIX/MAC files to DOS format when they are opened. Optionally the user may select to be prompted each time a UNIX/MAC file is detected before it is converted. If no detection/conversion is desired this may be disabled.

Cheers,

Dan
        Daniel Kirkdorffer
        http://www.kirkdorffer.com/

NewbieNewbie

Nov 29, 2004#4

Yes those settings are properly set up. This is only an issue with existing files. Files that were existingly in unix format, I open them up with UE and then save my changes and ONLY the changes themselves are in DOS format not the rest of the file. So if I make 5 lines worth of changes it appears those 5 lines have DOS formatting vs Unix formatting unless I manually choose convert Dos file to Unix (even though the file format is actually unix).

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Nov 30, 2004#5

I use Samba as well and I've noticed this happens sometimes. I created a button for converting to unix format and often use the button even if I don't think I need it. Are you typing the changes you make or copying and pasting? I believe edits from the clipboard might add DOS line terminators.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 30, 2004#6

I'm having exactly the same problem.

ini settings shows 'Default File Type=1'
              Hope there is an easy solution to fix this problem as I too get fellow coders complaining about this problem!

cheers