Reverting back from Trial Version of Ultracompare

Reverting back from Trial Version of Ultracompare

Dec 14, 2006#1

I bought Ultraedit about 10 months ago. I recently upgraded to version 12.2 (within the 12 month window). Somehow the Ultracompare trial version was also installed (through my own inattention probably). The trial period is now over.

However, before the upgrade, I had a different version of Ultracompare, which was packaged with the original Ultraedit. How do I get back to that?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 14, 2006#2

You have to uninstall UltraCompare Professional and then UltraCompare Lite in the UltraEdit program directory should become active again. You need administrator privileges for this uninstall.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Dec 15, 2006#3

Actually, I tried this, but forgot to mention it here. Ultracompare is not listed in Add/Remove Programs anymore. Ultraedit still calls that version when I try to compare files from the Ultraedit File/Compare menu. The ucl.exe file is still in the Ultraedit directory.

Ultracompare Professional was installed in a different location from the original Ultraedit. The executable files are still there. Running UC's uninstall tries to install it, so something thinks it's uninstalled. Renaming the UC directory, UE seems to try to call it, but nothing happens (no error messages either).

Is there something in the registry or UE files that needs pointing back to UCL?

Thanks,
        QM

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2006#4

My following answer already prepared in case you have already uninstalled UltraCompare was:

If you have already uninstalled UltraCompare Professional completely and UltraEdit still thinks, the professional version is installed, you can copy following lines to a text file, save it with a name like "uc_prof_remove.reg" (extension reg is important) and double click on it to import it to your registry.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uc.exe]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{deb489eb-61c1-4faa-9e17-495a8eed59ea}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{EF949584-D843-4F7F-A4B4-070CC9E48B45}]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare Pro]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare Pro 3]

This will delete the specified keys and UltraEdit will use again UltraCompare Lite. The bold highlighted key is the key used by UltraEdit and UEStudio to determine if UltraCompare Professional is installed or not.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Dec 15, 2006#5

Thanks!