The system cannot find the path specified

The system cannot find the path specified

NewbieNewbie

May 04, 2006#1

I have configured a couple of tools for opening files. I'm using the %n subsitution variable to open either a log file with the same name different extension as the program file I have open, or a PDF. The commands look like this:

"C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32\uedit32.exe" c:\temp\%n.log

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" c:\temp\%n.pdf

I've been doing this same thing for years, but on the current (to me) version 12.00+3 I get "The system cannot find the path specified" error, and then the file in question is opened properly.

Very strange behaviour, as obviously the system can find the file, and the program to launch. I have removed the c:\temp\%n.pdf portion of the command line from the acrobat launch, and it still reports the error, and still opens the reader.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 05, 2006#2

Which operating system do you have?

Have you selected "Windows Program" for both tools because both are not DOS programs?

Have you disabled "Capture Output" which is possible only for DOS programs?

The filename inserted with %n could have a space. You should enclose the file specification also in double quotes like "c:\temp\%n.pdf".

Is the "Alternate Capture Method" enabled in menu Advanced? Disable it.

If nothing helps, download Filemon from SysInternals install it (unpacking the zip-file), run it and capture all disk accesses while you run one of your tools.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 29, 2006#3

I have a similar trouble.
        I configure a tool to launch a vbs script with three argument.
        I use this command line :

Code: Select all

"F:\Mes documents\Répertoire\script.vbs" "%n" "%e" "%p"

And this working directory :

Code: Select all

F:\Mes documents\Répertoire
        And here is my trouble :
        - If i enable "Capture Output", i always have the message "The system cannot find the path specified" but the script works.
        - If i disable "Capture Output", i have another message "Error creating a process193" (translated from from french) followed by the command line. And the script does not work.

Does anybody have an idea ?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 29, 2006#4

Hi Irpye!

See Launch a macro or windows program from menu or button. I'm really start wondering about VBS programmers who don't know that a VBS file is not a program like an EXE or COM file.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 02, 2006#5

Ok. Thanks for the help.
            And about your comment, i don't pretend to be a VBS programmer. I was just trying to solve a problem i have. And VBS seemed to be the quickest way to do it, without programming skills. And now it works. Sorry not be a professionnal.
            But again, i am grateful for your answer. 8)

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 20, 2006#6

Mofi wrote: Have you disabled "Capture Output" which is possible only for DOS programs?
              I had the same problem with starting ANY windows program. The problem was that "Capture Output" was active by default. I thought this would just affect DOS programs, because that option is in the "only DOS commands" part of options.