Grid View and Eclipse style "Templates"

Grid View and Eclipse style "Templates"

NewbieNewbie

Dec 19, 2006#1

I've been using the UE products since *UltraEdit* was at version 6. Recent problems have gotten me looking at other products, but ultimately, they're not as satisfying. There are one or two other editors I like for very specific tasks (Source Insight is GREAT with C, but needs a lot of fiddling), but I still come back to the IDM editors when the heavy lifting needs to be done. However, there are some features missing from the product that would be awesome:

Grid View:
    I tried a product called "LargeEdit" when UES had trouble with a 1.5GB SQL dump file. LargeEdit didn't live up to its billing, but it did seem to have a cool "grid view" feature that put tabular data in a spreadsheet-type grid. On the other hand, IDM quickly responded to my issue and solved the problem.

Eclipse-style "Templates":
    It's nice to be in Eclipse, type a short character sequence, and have it blow out an entire control structure, class declaration, etc.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 20, 2006#2

Maybe the templates and auto-complete feature of UltraEdit can help you too. I don't know how the Eclipse template feature work.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 18, 2007#3

Templates: I however also like this feature of eclipse (it's also present in other editors).

I 'solved' it in UE myself before by using only macros, I changed it ages ago to use templates as well.

ex.
        macro:
        InsertMode
        ColumnModeOff
        Key Ctrl+LEFT ARROW
        Find MatchWord "dvc"
        IfFound
        DeleteToEndofLine
        Template 24
        ExitMacro
        EndIf

(this macro is much longer, 6 lines for each match, and there's about 80 or so >_<)

Template 24:
        def var ^ as char no-undo.

To fire it off, I have bound the macro to shift+space.

I very much dislike having to use the macro feature as it involves a very long list of finds when using something far down on the list (which of course is pretty much sorted by how often I use the specific template). Tags is out of the question as I'd have to have a list up and double click what I want. Auto complete isn't really the same thing (I use it as well as it parses the file while editing which cuts down on writing long variables/tables/fields/whatever each time, but it can't position the cursor I believe, which I need)

What would be nice, would be a feature like tags/templates, but not having to have it up and double-click it. I guess it should be in the syntax-highlighting as most things are very language specific.

Ie. write a code, f.ex dvc press space/whatever and it would expand it to what you have defined (this is what my macro/template mimics, but as stated, becomes veeeery slow with large macros).

Now, I hope I just haven't missed anything in the editor, it would be embarrassing as I've been using UE for the past 10 years or so ;P