Find in Files -- Increase Edit Window Functionality

Find in Files -- Increase Edit Window Functionality

NewbieNewbie

Aug 02, 2004#1

I currently direct Find in Files results to go to the Output Window because that is the only way I can click on a result and go right to the original text. Why can't this capability be supported in the Edit Window output? Also, as I said elsewhere, please remove the full path on every line of the search results. It is not needed and virtually insures that the whole text line cannot be seen without horizontal scrolling.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 02, 2004#2

LarlaDog wrote:I currently direct Find in Files results to go to the Output Window because that is the only way I can click on a result and go right to the original text. Why can't this capability be supported in the Edit Window output? Also, as I said elsewhere, please remove the full path on every line of the search results. It is not needed and virtually insures that the whole text line cannot be seen without horizontal scrolling.
      Not sure IDM monitors these forums closely enough to pick up all the good suggestions. It would be a good idea to contact IDM support directly with such an idea. I suspect that they can easily make the adjustment, or provide an INI setting that allows us to do that.

Dan
      Daniel Kirkdorffer
      http://www.kirkdorffer.com/

NewbieNewbie

Aug 03, 2004#3

Good point -- I have sent them an e-mail about this.

Aug 03, 2004#4

I sent a request to IDM about above as well as eliminating full paths in results listings. I got back an immediate personalized response (within 15 minutes) saying that both suggestions would be considered for future releases.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2004#5

Hi there.

In case you're interested, I've developed a free utility that enables you to use F4 to navigate to the next occurrence found, Shift-F4 to the previous. This works with Find in Files and most compiler error messages in the output window, supporting Windows and Java file names. Works with UE 8.0 and above.

Cheers,

Finn

NewbieNewbie

Nov 09, 2004#6

Hi ellebaek,

that's exactly what I am searching for. Where can I find your tool?

regards
              Rob

NewbieNewbie

Mar 03, 2005#7

Well v11 is out and all of the same problems I complained about almost a year ago have still not been addressed.

Does your tool to move to next line using F4 work for v11 UE?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 03, 2005#8

Yes :-)

Mar 09, 2005#9

I've now uploaded the tool to our website where you can download it from http://www.changegroup.biz/en/get.psp?d ... nxtprv.zip

The ZIP file contains installation instructions.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Finn

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 07, 2007#10

The link is dead :(

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 11, 2007#11

I have uploaded this great UltraEdit output window enhancement tool from Finn to one of my servers. So you can download now again uenextprev.zip.

This archive is not exactly the archive from Finn. I have added some graphic files which contain a Next and Prev icon for various configurations, in various sizes and formats for usage in an UltraEdit toolbar. I have added a little information about those graphic files in the readme.txt from Finn.

To Finn: If you are ever reading this, please tell me, if it is okay to upload your great tool on my HTTP file server.

Note: This tool does not work anymore for UltraEdit v14.00 and later. I suppose because of changing the name of UltraEdit slightly.

Hint:
                        With UltraEdit for Windows v15.00 and UEStudio v9.00 this tool is not needed anymore because UltraEdit has built-in the commands Next Message (Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow) and Previous Message (Ctrl+Shift+Up Arrow) which can be used via the context menu (right click) of the output window or the hotkeys. The hotkeys can be also configured in the key mapping configuration dialog. Just change the hotkeys for the commands OutNextMessage and OutPreviousMessage. With Next/Previous Message it is now also as easy as with the tool to navigate through lines in the output window from within a document window.
                        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria