Missing Output Window

Missing Output Window

NewbieNewbie

Nov 12, 2006#1

This may seem rather silly, but I did something to my Output Window and now I have no idea what has happened to it. I have tried showing and hiding it using View and I have tried closing down the editor. I have even tried removing all of the bars to see if it was hiding somewhere.

If anyone can help by telling me how to reset the positioning of the window or anything else, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 12, 2006#2

Sounds like you have undocked the output window of UltraEdit for Windows v12.20 and it is now opened outside the visible area. Open uedit32.ini if possible not with UltraEdit (Windows Notepad) and delete whole section.

[OutputWindow-SCBar-152]

Then save uedit32.ini and (re)start UltraEdit.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 03, 2007#3

Where I can find uedit32.ini?
        I have the version 9.00b and I can't find the file on main UltraEdit folder.
        I got the same problem that my file list window is missing somewhere outside the screen.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 03, 2007#4

yudieg wrote:Where I can find uedit32.ini?
          See UltraEdit INI file location. Searching is not yours, isn't it. A simple search with your file manager (Windows Explorer, if you don't have something better) should find it. I guess, it is in the Windows directory.

But I'm not sure if my first post helps you with your old version of UE. I can't remember if v9.00b stores the output window settings in this manner. Why have you not updated to latest v9.x as it was available?

However, if v9.00b does not save the output window settings in this manner, do following:
          • While UltraEdit is not running search for uedit32.ini and rename it for example to my_uedit32.ini.
          • Start UltraEdit and it will create uedit32.ini completely new with the default settings. Open the output and the file list window. Then close UltraEdit while the two windows are still open.
          • Make a copy of uedit32.ini for example with name "uedit32_default.ini".
          • Start UltraEdit again and now undock the two windows and move it anywhere. Then close again UE while the two floating windows are open.
          • Start UltraEdit again, load uedit32.ini and uedit32_default.ini and run from within UltraEdit a File - Compare Files.
          • You should see now where the output window and file view settings are stored by the version of UltraEdit you use.
          • Open as third file my_uedit32.ini and make the necessary changes according to the compare result. Then save my_uedit32.ini.
          • Close UltraEdit, delete uedit32.ini and uedit32_default.ini and rename back the modified my_uedit32.ini to uedit32.ini.
          • You should have back the two windows now in your uedit32.ini.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 03, 2018#5

Mofi wrote:Sounds like you have undocked the output window of UltraEdit for Windows v12.20 and it is now opened outside the visible area. Open uedit32.ini if possible not with UltraEdit (Windows Notepad) and delete whole section.

[OutputWindow-SCBar-152]

Then save uedit32.ini and (re)start UltraEdit.
            There is no such section in my UltraEdit INI file. The Output Window is visible on the bottom of my screen, but clicking on it does nothing. Now what?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 03, 2018#6

jetgg, many things changed since Nov. 2006 and UltraEdit for Windows v12.20. Which version of UltraEdit do you use? Click on Help - About (contemporary or traditional menus) or Support - Abort (ribbon mode), select version information if not already selected and press Ctrl+C to copy it to clipboard. Paste the version information with Ctrl+V into your next post.

It looks like the Output Window is docked at bottom with auto-hide feature enabled. So it is enough to move mouse pointer over the Output Window tab and the output window appears. The pin symbol on right side of the title bar of the output window left to X symbol toggles auto-hide setting. There are two possibilities with an auto-hided docked output window not moving upwards on mouse pointer being positioned over the tab of the window:
              1. Just upper half of title bar appears with mouse pointer over the output window tab.

In this case it is necessary to first click with primary (left) button on the tab to set focus on output window indicated by a color change of partly displayed title bar. Next move slowly the mouse pointer upwards over the dividing line between document window and output window. The mouse pointer changes on right vertical position to a double line with an up arrow and a down arrow. Click on primary (left) button, hold it and move the upper border of the output window upwards.

2. The auto-hided output window docked at bottom disappears quickly after mouse pointer left area of output window tab/view.

In this case open Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Application layout - Dockable windows and enter for setting Time-out before auto-hide (in ms) the default value 700.
              The output window respectively its tab on being docked and auto-hide enabled can be made visible on using UltraEdit for Windows v23.00 or a later version in ribbon mode by clicking on ribbon tab Layout on check box of Output window item. In toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus the visibility of the output window is toggled on clicking in menu Layout on menu item Output window. In toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus respectively in UltraEdit prior v23.00 the visibility of the output window can be toggled by clicking in menu Window on menu item Output window or in menu View in submenu Views/lists on menu item Output window.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 04, 2018#7

Using version 17.30.0.1014.

I'm fully aware of the auto-hide feature. I use it for many other 'pop out / auto-hide' windows like Function List, Clipboard History, etc. I was trying to experiment with the feature of opening files directly from the Output Windows versus returning results to the Edit window. When I disable the check box on Find in Files, the Output Window does not open. I cannot hover over it to get it displayed. It is just dead, it does nothing.

Fiddled around with a bit more and discovered that the "window" size at the bottom had been shrunk to where the Output Window had no room to display.

Thanks.