Spelling filter C / C++ not working as expected

Spelling filter C / C++ not working as expected

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 19, 2007#1

I just started using v12 and was excited to see spelling filters - I code in C most of the time and have wanted something to check comments and strings in C code for a long time.

But when I enable filters and choose C/C++ and spell check C source, I still get hits on variable names in the code - it is not checking only the comments and source.

Is there a known bug, or is there a way I can test this feature?

Example:

Code: Select all

///////////////////////////////////
      // Handle infofile data
      ///////////////////////////////////
      strcpy(infofile_name,w_path("wautoinfo",gpmsc_session));
    When I spellcheck this code, it detects "infofile" in the comment as misspelled, as I would expect, but then it also detects "infofile" (in infofile_name) as misspelled. In Configuration, Use filters is checked and C / C++ is selected.

Version in use is 12.20b+1.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 27, 2007#2

I never used the spell checking feature before, but I now have tested it with UEStudio v6.10b+1 and you are right. The C / C++ filter is not working as expected. It looks like everything after first line comment will be also interpreted by Aspell as line comment. If I change your piece of code to

Code: Select all

/*/////////////////////////////////
        // Handle infofile data
        /////////////////////////////////*/
        strcpy(infofile_name,w_path("wautoinfo",gpmsc_session));
      then the spell checker really searches only in the block comment and the string.

UltraEdit v12.20b+1 and UEStudio v6.10b+1 uses Aspell 0.60.4. There is already the newer version 0.60.5 on the Aspell homepage. But the Changelog does not describe in detail which bug fixes have been done.

I will sent an email to IDM support about this issue. Please do the same. The more users report a problem, the higher becomes the priority of the problem in the list of known bugs for bug fixing.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 30, 2007#3

Thanks, I will post a bug report.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 17, 2007#4

Good news for this topic: This bug is fixed already in UltraEdit v13.00 Beta II and so next release of UltraEdit and UEStudio will have a correct working spell checker for C / C++.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 13, 2007#5

Thanks for the info. I bought an unlimited upgrade license, so I'll have to carve out some time later this week to upgrade.