Syntax Highlighting causing horrible and un-usable display

Syntax Highlighting causing horrible and un-usable display

NewbieNewbie

Dec 14, 2004#1

I have HTML syntax highlighting "on" and have a horrible problem occurring. When I highlight a section by "clicking, holding, and dragging" my mouse across text, and then click away from the selection, those words have vertical lines after them (the same color as my "Sel. Text Background"). Another terrible scenario seems to occur when I don't even select anything at all. Extra characters appear on the screen like semi colons. These are not actual typed characters at all and as long as I don't use syntax highlighting I don't see either of these problems. I have found that if I turn on "Show spaces/tabs" with the syntax highlighting I have no problems but I then cannot read the material very well that way either. I have reproduced this problem on two monitors and one machine. I cannot reproduce this on my laptop or my co-workers machine. I've tried changing resolution and color depth with no change. I've talked to my IT guy and he asked me to post the problem to see if this is a known driver conflict or otherwise known problem. I am using 10.20C although this has been a problem for several versions back over a couple of years. Please help. I cannot use syntax highlighting at all and don't want to switch from using UltraEdit as I've grown to love it but will have to if I cannot resolve this problem as I am using it to develop multiple websites with .htm, .js, .asp, .css... Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2004#2

Which display font do you use? Is it a proportional font like Arial or a fixed width font like Courier New? If you use a proportional font, change it to a fixed with font at View - Set Font and try highlighting again.

It is also known, that display problems occur when ClearType is activated at Windows XP. Open Advanced - Configuration - General, go to section Display and activate Setting this may improve display issues with ClearType fonts on Windows XP.

Maybe this helps.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 23, 2004#3

I found that if you turn off the setting for Cleartype fonts on Windows XP that the vertical lines will disappear. When I used a proportional font with the setting on, the problem still existed.

The font I use is Courier New.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 27, 2004#4

I've been on vacation but boy was I happy when I returned to the answer to this problem. You are absolutely correct in suggesting to DESLECT the Configuration Display...setting. This did fix the problem. And by the way I had tried changing to fixed width fonts and that didn't provide a change so I was glad this other solution was the trick. Thank you very much!