Can UEStudio and UltraEdit run simultaneously side by side?

Can UEStudio and UltraEdit run simultaneously side by side?

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 20, 2007#1

I'd like to try out UEStudio for a while, but without compromising my current UltraEdit install. Do these two apps install separately and play well together?

I am currently running UE32 version 13.00+2

Power UserPower User

Mar 20, 2007#2

Hi ridgerunner,
      yes each app comes in it's own installer file, and is installed into it's own directories. If you already have UE installed, UES can use the UE wordfile.txt and taglist.txt files, so you don't have to re-create them with any modifications you may have. I've had the 2 products installed side by side ever since UES came out, without ever seeing a single problem, but I'm using UES almost exclusively now.

Cheers...

Frank

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 20, 2007#3

Thanks Frank.
        I did find the official answer to my question on the power tips pages. (Guess I should have looked a little harder before asking. I searched the forums but never looked at the power tips before. There is some good stuff in there...)

It appears that the answer is yes and no.

Any others out there with specific experience running both side by side?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 20, 2007#4

The answer is definitely YES. I run both at the same time also since UES was released. I even use different versions of UE (see evaluate newer version) while UES is always the latest version and there is no problem.

You only have to take into consideration the install/update order if you use SSH/Telnet in UE and/or UES. Both register the wodCertificate.dll and wodTelnetDLX.ocx and the latest installation always "wins". That means the SSH/Telnet client used is always from the directory of the program which was last installed.

And of course you have to care which files are associated with which program, which program is the HTML source viewer for IE, which program is added to the context menu for all files, etc. In my configuration I use UES for my projects and UE is for general text editing and so UE is mainly registered in the Windows registry.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 27, 2007#5

Mofi,

That's exactly what I do... use UES for projects and UE for everything else. I'm often working on code that deals with XML files. I love that I can use UE to view the xml source on my left monitor and UES to edit the application which will be parsing it on the right. Much more efficient for me than to tile the windows or keep clicking between tabs.