No alert when whole file has been searched

No alert when whole file has been searched

Jul 21, 2007#1

HI All,

Recently I switched from Textpad to UE..I am using UE 13.10a+1 version and I use the editor mainly for editing PL-SQL Files..

I have checked the Wrap Search option using
    Advanced - > Configuration -> Search -> Miscellaneous -> Continue find at End of File

UE doesnt alert me when it is finished with searching the whole file and start point for search is reached .. instead it continues searching..

In Textpad, we had Visible and Audible alerts for this purpose so that we come to know the search of the file has been completed.

But in UE, I couldnt see any option to come to know whether it has searched the whole file..

Please let me if there are any alternatives..

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 22, 2007#2

Disable the configuration setting you have checked and you will get a prompt "Continue search from other end of file?" when the search reaches end of file (search downwards) or top of file (search upwards).

But there is no option for an alert when you for example start your search anywhere inside the file, search till end of the file has been reached, continue from top and reaches again the position where you have started the search = whole file as been searched. I know, other applications like MS Word and Adobe Reader do it and the message is often helpful, but sometimes also annoying. Other applications like browsers run like UltraEdit also a search in an "endless" loop without a message.

I have disabled this configuration setting and when I want a search in whole file I press Ctrl+Home first before I start the search. Surely not the best solution for everybody, but nothing better exist at the moment.

You can send an email with a feature request to IDM.

I think, the main problem is that during a search UltraEdit allows also large content manipluation. That makes it very difficult to detect when the search has reached the initial position. It can be even possible that the initial position is not present anymore. From a programmers view it is really very hard to detect if whole file has been already searched for the string or not when content has changed during the search.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria