Inverse searching Regular Expression problem

Inverse searching Regular Expression problem

NewbieNewbie

Aug 08, 2007#1

Hi,
    I have a problem in Regular Expression.

File 1 is:
    ABCgg003D

if I want to search with any text start with BC and the end is 003 in File 1. I use BC*003 in find function. That work fine. Found 1 result.

File 2 is:
    ABCgg002D

if i want text start with BC but not end with 003 in File 2. I have try BC*~^{003^}. I suppose 1 will be found. But the result is 0.

What Regular Expression should i use?
    THX:)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 08, 2007#2

First read the sticky forum topic in this forum. Then tell us your version of UE/UES and which regex engine you use.

Usually it is not possible to search "if a string is not at ...". With the UltraEdit and the Unix engine it is definitely not possible what you want. Only possible is "next character is not a or b or c or ..." by using [~abc] in UltraEdit syntax or [^abc] in Unix syntax.

If BC*~^{003^} should be an UltraEdit regex search string, than this is a completely invalid one and so does never find something.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Aug 08, 2007#3

If you have an UE version >12, you can use the Perl regex engine that features negative lookahead.

Code: Select all

BC(?:(?!003).)*$
        will find "BC" followed by anything except 003 until the end of line.

I.e., ABCgg003D won't match, ABCgg002d will match BCgg002d.

HTH,
        Tim

NewbieNewbie

Aug 09, 2007#4

Thanks for replies!

My UltraEdit version is 13.10a+1.

I have tried

Code: Select all

BC(?:(?!003).)*$
          , but the result still is 0 in File 2 (BCgg002d). Should I configure something before use Perl regex engine?

MasterMaster

Aug 09, 2007#5

Did you read the sticky, esp. section 2?

And of course, did you check "Regular Expressions" in the Find dialog?