Nervous screen

Nervous screen

NewbieNewbie

Dec 12, 2006#1

I've customized the UE keyboard with my favorite definitions. When I edit, some key combinations make the screen "jittery." Also, UE seems to lose some of my definitions. And key combinations that I assign to a macro make the macro playback dialog flash briefly on the screen. I'd prefer a calmer, soothing environment. Finally, the keyboard redefinition list is not alphabetized. Thanks for listening.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 12, 2006#2

I use UltraEdit several years and have assigned nearly all commands to a hotkey and also use macro with hotkeys. I have never seen what you describe here. Display problems are often caused by bad font or a bad video driver. Maybe you can exactly describe what you do and what happens when you do that.

It's also possible that other running applications in the background captures some hotkeys. ATI video graphic drivers are for example installed with a program which is called "ATI HotKey Poller". Click on Run in Windows start menu, enter "msconfig" and run it. Switch to tab Startup and look what is started on your PC in background.

The commands in the key mapping configuration dialog of UE v12.20 and UES v6.00 or higher are by default sorted in menu order as in previous versions, but can be also sorted alphabetically if you check the Sort option above the commands list.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 12, 2006#3

A very helpful reply! Thanks much. It would be a great boon if I could fix these problems, as UltraEdit is otherwise exactly what I need for editing plain text files.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 26, 2007#4

Runbei,
          In my case, every macro creates the "jittery" effect. I would like to know if this effect has disappeared in your case.
          Thank you very much in advance.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2007#5

No, still shakin' - even after I switched graphics cards. Am using a different editor if I need to do a lot of formatting/writing in plain text (Notepad ++).

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 27, 2007#6

Thank you very much for your answer. I can confirm that the problem appears in different op sys (W98SE, NT4 and W2000) and different computers (different graphic cards and drivers). Anyhow, it's a minor inconvenience. For example, I can't resist in Notepad+ the way this program shows CR/LF on the screen. Ultraedit lets me show CR/LF the way I like without having to show at the same time spaces and tabs (see, for example, PsPad).

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 27, 2007#7

First, have you also enable the macro property Show Cancel dialog for this macro? Then it is normal that there is a permanent switch between the dialog and the document window. Uncheck this macro property for your macros. You still can escape the macro execution with key ESC.

Second, when running macros which do many cursor movements to different positions in the file then it is normal that the document window cannot follow and you see strange document windows during macro execution. The refresh rate of displays is much lower than the macro speed. But when the macro has finished, the document window should look fine again.
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 27, 2007#8

Thank you for your reply. Of course, "Show cancel dialog..." is disabled and the problem appears with very simple macros that don't include cursor movement.