Is there a reasonable way to spell check an entire website?

Is there a reasonable way to spell check an entire website?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 04, 2007#1

I've got this site (actually it's a humongous help file) that could do with a spell check. I know there isn't a "spell check site" command, but I'm wondering if there's a canned scripting approach to iterating through all the files in a project so that I could maybe run the spell checker on every file that way.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2007#2

If you have the whole website offline available use command Quick Open to open all HTML files at once and then run the spell check on every file. Spell checking cannot be automated by a script because it always requires user interactions.

Hint: If you find a word mis-spelled in more than 1 file, use Replace All on all open files to faster correct all of them at once. It's annoying to correct a wrong written word dozens of times because it is wrong in dozens of files.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2007#3

Mofi, Thanks for your suggestions. And hello back to you from Greely, Ontario, Canada.

I was afraid of this. The site is approximately 630 HTML files, so opening them all at once and then spell-checking them one at a time would really blow.

What I want is a way to make a list of all tokens in all the HTML files that:

- are not HTML, CSS, JavaScript, or whatever
        - are not all uppercase
        - don't have uppercase letters appearing among lowercase letters
        - don't have numerals in them
        - don't have underscores in them
        - are not in my spelling dictionary

This would result in a nice short list of new words and misspellings. I could then search for these words or the list maker could keep links to where the words were found.

Are there any ambitious developers out there who'd like to consider this? I'm quite sure someone besides poor sad me would find a use for this kind of tool.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2007#4

At Macro examples and reference for beginners and experts you can download a zip archive with some files. Inside the macro files there is the macro HtmlWordList. It is a macro I have written for myself for nearly what you want to do. As I have written in the UEM file you can use it and adapt it to your needs. For example you want to delete all blocks of CSS, JavaScript, PHP, etc.
          Example for CSS deletion:

UnixReOff
          Loop
          Find "<style"
          IfNotFound
          ExitLoop
          EndIf
          Key HOME
          IfColNumGt 1
          Key HOME
          EndIf
          StartSelect
          Find Select "</style>[ ^t]++^p"
          IfSel
          Delete
          EndIf
          EndSelect
          EndLoop
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2007#5

Wow! Thanks. I'm going to give this a close look.