Passing filename selected in File View?

Passing filename selected in File View?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 05, 2007#1

I'd like to be able to pass the name of a file(s) I've highlighted in the File View to a configured tool via its command line. Something like "myImageEditor.exe %fileViewSel%".

A second possibility would be to be able to add other applications to the right-click context menu while over the File View.

A third possibility is to be able to specify a File Association for use within UES. Yes, UES can open an .gif as hex, but you're far more likely to want to open an image file with an image editor.

I think you can see what I'm after here. Is it possible within UES? I haven't got it to work.

TIA,
    Ned

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2007#2

Have you not associated .gif with your prefered image editor?

No, then check the configuration settings of the image editor if you can do that. Or use in Windows Explorer Tools - Folder Options - File Types to specify as default application for files with the file extension .gif your prefered image editor for the Open action.

Then you can right click on a GIF file in the File Tree View and use Open With Default to open that file in the image editor.

Every other method you suggested is not possible. Why should UE and UES offer a file association database for UE/UES only when there is already such a database - the Windows file associations in the registry?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2007#3

Mofi wrote:Then you can right click on a GIF file in the File Tree View and use Open With Default to open that file in the image editor.
        Thank you. When I said "File Tree View", I meant File Tree View/Project tab. Your advice made no sense then. Ah, Mofi means File Tree View/Explorer tab. Yes, that works!
        Mofi wrote:Every other method you suggested is not possible. Why should UE and UES offer a file association database for UE/UES only when there is already such a database - the Windows file associations in the registry?
        My first idea ("%fileTreeSel%") would have far broader use than merely substituting for file asssociations.

Ned

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2007#4

Ned_ wrote:My first idea ("%fileTreeSel%") would have far broader use than merely substituting for file asssociations.
          I agree. Write a feature request email to IDM support. Maybe the developers can add such a feature in a future version.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 07, 2007#5

Mofi wrote:Why should UE and UES offer a file association database for UE/UES only when there is already such a database - the Windows file associations in the registry?
            If UES could offer local file associations, the default action when double-clicking on a script when not running UES might be to execute the script, while the default within UES could be to edit the script. Or within UES, double-clicking an image might invoke a quick viewer, but outside the same action would invoke PhotoShop (or vice versa). That seems handy.

I have submitted "%fileViewSel%" to IDM for consideration.

Ned