Any SAS programmers here?

Any SAS programmers here?

NewbieNewbie

Dec 30, 2004#1

I would like to use Ultraedit as the default editor for programs in SAS instead of the built-in Enhanced Editor.

I'm using SAS 8.2 on a Windows 2000 computer.

I've searched the SAS website, but did not succeed.

I did something like this years ago, and I thought that I just had to invoke SAS with the parameters

"C:\Program Files\SAS Institute\SAS\V8\sas.exe" -editcmd "C:\Program Files\UltraEdit\uedit32\uedit32.exe" -CONFIG "C:\Program Files\SAS Institute\SAS\V8\SASV8.CFG"

However, when I try this I get the error:

ERROR: Unrecognized SAS option name, "C:\PROGRAM FILES\ULTRAEDIT\UEDIT32\UEDIT32.EXE".
    ERROR: Unrecognized SAS option name, EDITCMD.
    (SASXKRIN): KERNEL RESOURCE INITIALIZATION FAILED.
    UNABLE TO INITIALIZE THE SAS KERNEL

So it seems that the -editcmd flag is not correct (my memory ain't what it used to be!).

Any advice? I have the syntax highlighting in UE working very nicely, but only outside of SAS.

John

NewbieNewbie

Dec 30, 2004#2

I don't think it is poossible.

However, you can execute SAS from uedit by running a bat file!

NewbieNewbie

Jan 04, 2005#3

I found this on http://www.sconsig.com/

/*** TIP 00196 ***/
        UltraEdit Tool Configuration for SAS
        Author: John Iwaniszek
        Does someone know how can I run sas programs directly from UltraEdit using Tool Configuration?

This can be done in the advanced tool configuration dialog box

Command Line:
        Set the command line to whatever command line your SAS system program file type uses (ex: c:\sas\sas.exe %f -nologo -config). The %f parameter will contain the current file open in Ultraedit using long filenames.

check the tickbox 'Check if Windows program', otherwise it won't work

Working Directory:
        Set the working directory to %p.

Hit Insert.

To set up a button on the menu use the advanced configuration toolbar tab and insert usertool 1 or later if you have set up other tool.

Now all you have to do to run the program you just saved is hit hammer1 (you'll know what I mean after you set it up) button and your program will run.

If you have the log, lst and any other files open before you execute the program they will automatically update after the program is finished executing. There are options for setting how the file update works in the configuration menus.

John Iwaniszek
        Statistical Programming Manager
        Stat-Tech Services, LLC
        919 571 6444
        Developers of the Macro Reporting System - Delivering Statistical reports in ASCII, RTF, and HTML
        http://www.StatTechServices.com
        /end of tip 00196 ***/

Jan 19, 2005#4

We use UltraEdit to launch SAS batch sesssions and automatically create the corresponding log and .lst files. Search the SAS-L archives for an old post from a user named "Jeremy Waters" from some years ago. We've modified the background VB script a little and it works very nicely. Contact me off board if you can't find it or want more details.

Taylor
          SAS Systems Administrator
          <some large CRO in the USA ;-) ...>