FTP works for Ultraedit32, but not UltraCompare Prof.

FTP works for Ultraedit32, but not UltraCompare Prof.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 30, 2007#1

Hi. I have an FTP account set up exactly the same on both Ultraedit 32 and UltraCompare Professional. I am trying to access a remote directory on a VMS server. I have server type set to VAX/VMS on both. The account name and password are the same, the server name is the same, etc. When I try to access a directory using browse site on the VMS using Ultraedit, it works just fine. I see subdirectories and files, and can access them. With Ultracompare, I try going to the same exact directory, and the only thing that shows is the folder to go up. Suggestions appreciated. :(

Power UserPower User

Aug 31, 2007#2

Have you tried setting the server type to Auto? I've found the same problem with accounts defined for MVS. It works OK in UE, but if I set the server as MVS in UC, it doesn't handle the MVS dataset (file) names corectly. But when I set the server type to Auto in UC it does process the names properly. I haven't yet notifed IDM support as I've found this workaround.

Cheers...

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Aug 31, 2007#3

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the Auto setting, and it tried to show me as file names the dates of the two first subdirectories alphabetically. This leads me to think you are on the right track, but this still doesn't get me what I need. I find myself wondering if the VAX/VMS option works for UltraCompare. I think it clearly logs into the directory, but is not correctly interpreting what it is seeing. Anyone have further suggestions?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 31, 2007#4

I would be interested in which version of UltraEdit you use and which version of UltraCompare.

Note: Both use SftpDLL.dll in the program directory. When you right click or press Alt+Enter on this file and switch to tab Version you can see the version of the DLL. For UE v13.10a+2 it is 3.2.0.58. For UC v5.00a+1 the version of the DLL is 3.0.3.32. So the DLL of UE is much newer than the DLL of UC.

While UC is not running rename SftpDLL.dll in the UltraCompare directory to a different name and then copy that DLL from the UltraEdit program directory to the UC directory.

Attention: I don't know if the newer version of the DLL is fully compatible with UltraCompare and I can't try that myself. But this is maybe worth a try.

Sep 20, 2007#5

I have informed IDM during beta test phase of UC v5.10 about this topic and UC v5.10 has now the same SftpDLL.dll as UltraEdit and maybe the (parsing) problem is also fixed now in UltraCompare like it was fixed in UE. Readme.txt of UE v13.10a+2 contains some entries about VMS related fixes. I don't know if the IDM developers look into this issue too.

Could you please upate to UC v5.10 and verify if VMS support is improved now in UltraCompare Prof. and post here the result of your test.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Power UserPower User

Sep 21, 2007#6

Mofi, after you posted your earlier suggestion regarding the dll, I did copy over the newer version from my UES directory but it made no difference. I've just upgraded UC to 5.10 and the problem still exists. In UES I have an MVS host defined as a server type of MVS with a list command filter of *. When I connect to it and browse, all the MVS datasets (files) are correctly displayed, and the partitioned datasets are correctly displayed as folders.

However with the same settings for the same host in UC, an incorrectly formatted list of names is displayed, and when I click on one of the names in the list, an error results, as an incorrectly formed name is passed back in the FTP command.

After further experimentation, I've found that setting the server type as OS9000 results in a correct listing being returned, which leads me to believe as you do that a parsing problem exists in the UC code. I've been through this a few months ago with Troy but it was never resolved.

Cheers...

Frank
              ues files.png (52.99KiB)
              UES browser display
              uc files.png (37.36KiB)
              UC browser display

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 21, 2007#7

Thanks to let me know that the file name parsing code in UC v5.10 is still not improved. You and wendell should report this by email (again).
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 24, 2007#8

What I have found as a workaround is that I can use FTP in ultraedit to access two files on a VMS system and then invoke ultracompare from there. Still it would be nice to be able to invoke ultracompare without this workaround.