Deleted DLL files of FireFox by accident - HELP!

Deleted DLL files of FireFox by accident - HELP!

NewbieNewbie

Oct 18, 2007#1

During install of upgrade of 13.20 of UE32 it asked "found old DLL files, do you want to replace the old DLL files?" My friend hit yes, now his Firefox won't start up. He even downloaded the new version of FF and still nada. Is there any way he can roll back to the old version?? or .. ?? what ??

Thanks all..

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 18, 2007#2

Which installer has you used - the Ghost Installer (uesetup.exe) or the MSI version? The Ghost Installer does not modify any system DLL. It just installs UltraEdit into the directory you specify during setup.

The MSI installer of Microsoft depends on the system DLLs of Microsoft and the required versions of the DLL are also packed into the install archive. When the MSI installer is executed and an existing system DLL is older than the DLL packed into the archive, it is replaced.

The latest version of the MSI installer is normally automatically installed with the automatical Windows update.

Here is the homepage of Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) which I think is currently the latest version.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Oct 18, 2007#3

Some thoughts:
        What I first didn't understand was the mention of Firefox being affected by an UE upgrade.

But could it perhaps be that the optional install of the UE Webbrowser toolbar at the end of the UE install process has sabotaged (some DLL files in) Firefox ?

I do not use this webbrowser toolbar myself so I can't check if an UE install writes DLL to the Firefox program folder.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 18, 2007#4

Mofi wrote:Which installer has you used - the Ghost Installer (uesetup.exe) or the MSI version?
          He installed it using whatever Windows XP Pro is defaulted to; which, as well all know, is more than likely MSI. My question is, how would installing the latest Windows installer help with the missing DLL files??
          jorrasdk wrote:But could it perhaps be that the optional install of the UE Webbrowser toolbar at the end of the UE install process has sabotaged (some DLL files in) Firefox ?
          He used the 'normal' install option not the custom; which probably installs everything. :?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 19, 2007#5

Looks like your friend has used the EXE version (Ghost Installer - uesetup.exe) and so jorrasdk is right because the IE/Firefox toolbar is installed by default too.

I suggest to downloaded latest version of Firefox and install it over the existing version to fix the missing of the DLL in the version Firefox needs. Maybe your friend should first run the setup of UltraEdit again and select now to add/remove components and remove the IE/Firefox toolbar. But that depends on the version of Firefox used by your friend. I have also never installed this toolbar because I use Opera.

Last you can use free Filemon from SysInternals to look which DLL is missing and then search for it in the WWW, download and copy it to the required folder.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 22, 2007#6

He got it finally! Here's the deal; he had to remove firefox entirely, reinstall UE, then reinstall FF. Thanks guys! Appreciate the quick responses, hopefully there will be a small update to resolve this. :) It's not a huge bug, but at work, time is of the essence as always.

MasterMaster

Oct 22, 2007#7

Arthurox wrote:...hopefully there will be a small update to resolve this...
                Great you got your problem resolved! But bugs are only permanenly resolved if you send IDM Support a bug report. Bugs should always be reported to the supporters at IDM via email (see e-mail address at top of page) as they do not monitor this user-to-user-forum. But you can include a link to this thread in your email to IDM.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 01, 2007#8

Arthurox wrote:He got it finally! Here's the deal; he had to remove firefox entirely, reinstall UE, then reinstall FF. Thanks guys!
                  Had the same problem and solved it by opening:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\extensions

and finding the extension folder that had a date/time about when I installed the UE toolbar. I deleted that folder and restarted FF and all was well. A little less work than uninstalling & reinstalling (which actually didn't work for me).

Perhaps this'll help someone else.

Jeff

NewbieNewbie

Nov 01, 2007#9

Way cool Jeff, thx! I'll pass it on!