Explorer performance over samba

Explorer performance over samba

NewbieNewbie

Dec 05, 2007#1

I've been using UltraEdit for years - what a great product. Recently, though, I've setup a dev machine and access it over samba (latest default debian server stuff). The explorer file list in UltraEdit (latest version) is horribly slow for me, though. It's the same from multiple computers, it's not the connection, and windows explorer is very fast.

For some reason, UltraEdit's explorer just can take several seconds and seems to redraw the whole file list with every click of a folder. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Is this a bug that anyone else has seen?

Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 06, 2007#2

Have you tried it without loading icons from the files and use instead standard icons?

Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced - Show registered file type icons in Explorer view.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 06, 2007#3

It still drags a little, but that is a huge and noticeable difference in speed! Thanks, I never would have noticed that setting.. there are so many configuration options. :)

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Dec 07, 2007#4

Another thing you might want to consider is turning off file change detection. At times when the network was busy this would slow switching files to a crawl.