Announcing UE3... UltraEdit for Your U3 Smart Drive...

Site AdminSite Admin

Aug 16, 2007#1

Hello Folks,

We are excited to announce the release of UE3 - UltraEdit for your U3 Smart Drive. The release of U3 marks another expansion to the IDM product line-up offering you, our customers, more choices and increased value. Power users such as yourselves have demonstrated an interest in the U3 version of UltraEdit and we are pleased to offer this to you now.

Looking back we feel so appreciative to be able to serve nearly two million users of IDM products.

Get the power of UltraEdit... Anywhere, Anytime, on any PC!

U3 Smart Drive + UltraEdit = Very Smart Drive

UE3 provides you all the features UltraEdit users have come to rely upon for daily computing, however UE3 is totally portable on your U3 Smart Drive allowing you to use UltraEdit at work, at home, or on the road!

Now you can take your projects, files, and favorite text editor with you, no matter where you go. The UE3 version of UltraEdit gives you access to your most needed features of UltraEdit - macros, scripting, syntax highlighting, column mode, code folding, UNICODE support, and more - all on your U3 drive. And best of all... you don't have to worry about porting your settings from one system to another! With UE3 you will always have your editing environment with you. Click here to Learn More...

Thanks, Ian and Team

Power UserPower User

Aug 17, 2007#2

*sigh* I wish you had just made UE portable. U3 is more hype than substance.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 18, 2007#3

Is this a 'new' product? Or an enhancement to UltraEdit? Do I need a new license?

If a new product, does the U3 version differ in any way other than being able to live on a U3 flash drive?

MasterMaster

Aug 18, 2007#4

new product - $49.95

discounted to $29.95 for existing customers

See Run the world's best file management solution on your U3-enabled smart drive.
          Software For Metalworking
          http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Aug 18, 2007#5

OK... I also saw an UltraEdit and U3 bundle. If I bought U3, would there be any advantage to getting UltraEdit too? Is there any difference... for example, is the U3 version limited in any way?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 19, 2007#6

The following is a copy of the help page UE3 Functionality of uedit32.chm in ue3e.u3p\Device\english\. (Hint: u3p is nothing else than a zip file. Rename the extension to zip and you can unpack the file with every program which supports zip archives.)

UE3 Functionality

UE3 refers to UltraEdit customized for installation on a U3 smart drive. UE3 supports the functionality of UltraEdit except as follows:
              • File associations are not supported.
              • Shell integration (context menu access from Windows Explorer) is not supported as the U3 conventions forbid access to the parts of the registry which must be modified to support shell integration.
              In nearly all other respects UE3 allows the use of UltraEdit as if it was installed on a standard desktop hard drive allowing users access to the most needed features of UltraEdit - macros, scripting, syntax highlighting, column mode, code folding, UNICODE support, FTP, Telnet and more - all on your U3 smart drive.

The primary difference is that when UE3 is shut down and the U3 smart drive is ejected, any references to files/settings that don't reside on the U3 smart drive are removed from the UE3 INI file (ue3.ini) when this is written back to the U3 smart drive. For example:
              • Files added to the Favorite files list during an editing session that belong to the host system will be removed from the application when the U3 drive is ejected.
              • Open files (except in the case of files opened via FTP) will not be remembered between sessions.
              Note: U3, the U3 smart Logo, and all U3 formative trademarks are trademarks or registered trademarks of U3 LLC worldwide.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 21, 2007#7

Are there any plans to provide a non-U3 portable version of UE for the rest of us who do not use U3? I have a non-U3 thumb drive with dozens of non-U3 "essential" portable apps. Having a "real" portable version of UE would be fantastic to say the least.

(More to the point, my drive WAS a U3 drive converted to non-U3, and converting it BACK to U3 is pretty much impossible.)

NewbieNewbie

Aug 22, 2007#8

U3 is great and very glad to see UltraEdit support for it. But a separate license going forward and double the cost to maintain both licenses??? No way!! I would pay a one time upgrade fee but I won't pay double from now on. Every other U3 product I have uses the license for the desktop version with no additional charge.

You need a single license for both. Were you thinking people would choose one or the other?? I want convenience when I'm on another machine, but I also don't want to have to pop out my jump drive every time I go to use UE on my machine.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 22, 2007#9

Hi,

is it possible to run "UE3" on a normal USB-disk without the U3-whatever-it-is-system?

I made UltraEdit13 running from a stick with the help of a small program namend "JauntePE", which is able to redirect any registry-call into an emulation. Works fine, but only on XP-systems because JauntePE isn't enhanced anymore by its author.

But I would prefer a portable UltraEdit without these crutches. Seems U3 is a crutch too, he?

Any experiences with UE3 before I waste $24,95?

Thanks,
                    Michael

MasterMaster

Aug 23, 2007#10

Somebody here claims to have made v13 portable without U3.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ ... pic=9597.0
                      Software For Metalworking
                      http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2007#11

I've never heard of U3 before. I do most of my work on a Mac... the issues U3 addresses really aren't present on the Mac.

I don't understand WHY you are making this as a separate product? Why charge users who already own UltraEdit for a portable version? Why not just include U3 support within UltraEdit?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 27, 2007#12

I do not and will not use a U3 drive, my personal and company policy requires that all USB drives be encrypted using truecrypt technology.

I often have important or sensitive data on my drive that if stolen or found would cause lots of problems for lots of people.

Come on IDM, if the warez puppys can make ultraedit portable without needing U3 then why cant you?

I look forward to you releasing a product that the majority of USB drive users can use, not just the U3 people.

Until then I will continue to use notepad++ portable, its not a very good replacement.. but I wont warez even this great of an application.

Please dont make us wait much longer, its already been a couple years that people have been asking for a portable version, when are you going to follow the money?

I should also say that whenever I can I have moved over to software that is free and portable, but ultraedit is one of the few applications that I would pay for if it was portable. Rather use the best in this case then learn to deal with the bugs in the free options (non of which come close to the power of ultraedit).

Thank you.

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 23, 2007#13

Hmmm... I'll see about sending an email to IDM, but in my experience even though they do seem to find a way to respond in good ways to user feedback insofar as the actual changes they make to the applications, the actual 'responses' to the emails are often... 'thanks, filed appropriately' in nature. And then without any other obvious feedback, you wind up finding out what you were asking about is buried somewhere in the next version. The info available about U3 specifically is really weak and lame... it's mostly just a bunch of BS marketing babble... and does a poor job of actually letting you know what it is and how it relates to you as an existing UE user.

The other products I use make it real simple... buy a license for the 'portable option' (which for me are around 10 - 20% of the overall costs of the app, depending on the app)... and you simply 'export' your regular desktop installation with it's settings and preferences to a u3p file. Same product... just an export option. This whole seemingly 'seperate product' nonsense and the associated cost just seems weird to me...

Anyhow, I wonder who even convinced them to waste their time with U3... it's already being abandoned by the company that created it. It will still be 'around' for awhile I'm sure... but SanDisk is already partnering with M$ to create an MS sanctioned alternative that will have support inside Windows to seemingly be more 'secure', and SanDisk has stated they will 'work with software developers who worked to support U3 to help them transitioning to the new model.

This fact alone makes the whole notion of paying 50% of the cost of your existing UE product even more of a raw deal... I feel somewhat annoyed about it ;-). I've considered myself a loyal UE customer for quite some time now... not just years of 'if you do this I'll spend money' like some lamers. I've actually paid for three (MAYbe four?) versions now... but I'm looking at Notepad++ and other alternatives that I can run 'portably'... some of which are free right from the get-go.

And I'll tell you what, other editors can be just as good... in fact my main problem with switching is that I've been using UE for so long, I'm just USED to it. I don't begrudge IDM wanting to make money... but a whole other product for existing users to have to buy to run UE portable? Shame... and as close as up until just a month or so before the U3 release... emailing IDM about how they were actually going to deliver U3 after they announced it got a "we're not sure yet reply"... Lame.

Anyhow... paying 50% of the cost of UE for a separate product that runs on a portable platform that sucks and is soon to be killed off by the vendor that created it sure seems like a waste of money. When U3 goes bye-bye and we all rush to the store to buy cheap solid-state USB drives with amazing 100 GB capacities... what then? A $30 upgrade to a separate UE4 product...? grrr.

Unfortunately for ME as a UE customer... a change in my job recently made portable app functionality a NECESSITY rather than the 'nice to have' it would have been for me a year ago... And I'll tell you what... if I have to "learn" a whole nother application for use on portable USB, you can bet I'm going to switch on the desktop as well just so I don't have to switch my brain back and forth between application A and B modes.

If I sound 'angry'... it's more dissapointment than anger. I was stoked when I head about U3 capacbility because I thought it would just be an 'option' and that U3 would just be ONE way to run it portably... that was diss 1, followed by price (diss 2), and then SanDisk saying bon-voyage to U3 was just a twist of the knife. For my other apps, U3 is just 'one' the options... I would even rather have seen IDM go the route of the ProtableApps.com model than U3...