NewbieNewbie

Nov 08, 2005#1

Is there a vi emulation for UE?

Thanks,

dbtid

MasterMaster

Nov 09, 2005#2

Hi dbtit,

Sorry, please forgive my cynical comment, but there is also no beetle emulation for a Porsche .... :wink:

Wasn't ment personally. Have fun with UE as is!

rds Bego :D
      Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 09, 2005#3

Now that's not nice ;-)

Vi emulation would definitely be an awesome feature. Fear not, I use UE 90% of the time because it's simply a better environment to work in then vi.

However, the key thing about vi that I miss from time to time, is the ability to do everything without your hands ever leaving the keyboard. No more reaching for the mouse for a selection, only to return right back to find the home row. No more ctrl sequences which stretch the hands. All navigation, edit and search features right at your fingertips. Delete a word? 'dw', 3 words? '3dw', 3 white space delimited words? '3dW'!!!

Ok, I am done ;-)

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 09, 2005#4

Yeah, have to agree, it would be fantastic to have vi emulation in ultraedit. I would be happy if only the navigation keys H J K L were emulated - maybe it is a feature that the UltraEdit development team would consider adding in the future....

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 17, 2006#5

A real vi emulation is still not possible, but since v12.20 of UltraEdit and v6.00 of UEStudio the internal commands can be mapped to multi-keys (or chords).

Edit: Chords are possible also for macros and scripts since UE v13.20 and UES v6.30.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 28, 2006#6

This is funny. I went to these forums to see if there was any way to have multi-key bindings for macros. You know why I wanted that? So I could bind Ctrl+D+D to delete the current line. Obviously inspired by the 'dd' command in vim :)

But this isn't possible now? Or is it?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 28, 2006#7

Tobbe wrote:So I could bind Ctrl+D+D to delete the current line.
                Why do you need a macro to delete current line?

There is an internal command to do it - see Edit - Delete - Delete Line. And because it is an internal command, you can now assign a multi-key to this command.

Or do you only want to delete the content of the current line without the line termination?.

This can be done with END plus Edit - Delete - Delete to Start of Line. 1 key (END) more should not be no problem for you because you like multi-keys. Key HOME plus Edit - Delete - Delete to End of Line could be also used, but indent space deleted or not depends now on the configuration setting Home Key Always Goto Column 1. Both special deletes are also internal commands which can be executed by a user defined multi-key.

I don't know vim and how delete current line works in vim.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 28, 2006#8

Thank you!
                  Delete Line was just what I needed, I just didn't know it existed :)

NewbieNewbie

Dec 07, 2006#9

I'd simply (hehe) like the command mode search/replace functions... eg: :%s :%d, etc...

Take a page from the firefox extension club and make a open in vi tab extension for UltraEdit would be perfect :)

NewbieNewbie

Jan 19, 2008#10

Bego wrote:Sorry, please forgive my cynical comment, but there is also no beetle emulation for a Porsche .... :wink:

Wasn't ment personally. Have fun with UE as is!
                      Obviously you mean vi = the porsche.. There is no physical, humanly way possible for any IDE, regardless of how good, to compete with vi. If you think otherwise you obviously don't know vi/vim (which can include macros written in perl, python, ruby, shell, C, C++). I remember this same thread in the eclipse forums and all those that disagreed ended up running off with their tails between their legs when true unix devs came out of the closet with real world empirical challenges and contests.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 19, 2008#11

rhugga wrote:... which can include macros written in perl, python, ruby, shell, C, C++...
                        Without knowing anything about vi/vim you can do the same in UltraEdit. Just add your perl, python, ruby, shell, C, C++ script/program as user tool, specify in the tool configuration to save the active file before running your tool and you can manipulate the file with your "plugin" in any way. It would be a good idea in this case to enable configuration setting Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - File Change Detection - Automatically update changed files.

UltraEdit supports macros - yes, limited, but it was always enough for me - and since v13.00 also JavaScript with most of the features "programmers" need. There will be NEVER a program which is best for EVERYONE (as long as all human beings are not all clones of the same human).

And chords are since UE v13.10 also possible for macros and scripts.