Different color for Show Spaces/Tabs/Line Endings?

Different color for Show Spaces/Tabs/Line Endings?

Dec 06, 2005#1

I'd like to be able to assign a color to characters you don't normally see, namely TAB and SPACE.

UltraEdit displays these as "»" and "".

A couple of weeks ago I actually got these characters to display in another color if I manualy typed them into a document ( ALT + 175 for the TAB symbol) but of course, that's not what I want.

Since this didn't work when I clicked the menu option to make the existing TABs or SPACEs visible in a document, I deleted whatever I came up with from the Wordfile and don't remember what I did.

Is there a way to accomplish this, perhapse using escape codes or HEX values in the Wordfile?

/L13"Data Files" NoCase Extensions = TXT DAT
    /Delimiters = ~!@^*()+=|\{}[]:;' ,.<>
    /C1"Embedded Characters"
    » ∙

-Michael

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Highlight embedded characters...Is this possible?

Dec 09, 2005#2

No, this is not possible although it would be helpful.

Write a feature request to IDM support by email for an additional color setting at View - Set Colors which is used for white-space characters when function Show Spaces/Tabs is active. I will do it, too.

Someone else which would like such an additional color setting?
      Please write also an email to IDM support.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 02, 2006#3

I would like this feature and have emailed IDM support requesting just that. Hopefully if others also email to request this feature, it will be added sooner rather than later :-)

Mar 03, 2006#4

Thanks for adding a tic mark Codec_7.  I went ahead and emailed IDM as well.  I never did do it when I first started this thread.  Wasn't sure if it mattered that much to anyone.

I like this feature because I sometimes have to write utility programs that deal with tab separated or space separated fields and sometimes files from Unix and it helps to see the "white space"  when initially analyzing these files.

As I told the folks at IDM, I do not wish to make comparisons with another product but I like the way that the freeware editor "Crimson" displays these characters.  It's non-obtrusive but easy to see.  Although, you have no option of choosing a particular color (it's always light grey, and somewhat translucent).  See attached screenshot.

-Michael.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 24, 2007#5

Our wish became true with UltraEdit v13.10. I'm currently testing Beta 1 of v13.10.

Show Spaces/Tabs is split up in UltraEdit v13.10 into 2 commands:

Show Spaces/Tabs
            Show Line Endings

And additionally in the Set Colors dialog there is the new Space, Tab, Line Feed color setting to change the text color of the 3 symbols » · ¶ with a color the user likes.

This is really great and looks very nice now. Thanks IDM.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 22, 2008#6

Weee! :P

Thanks to all of you for posting your requests and coments and to IDM for paying attention.

This is really one of those features that make your day/life a lot easier. Now I can browse text files quickly because spaces, tabs and line feeds are highlighted.

IDM: In case you're looking for things to make perfect, maybe you could add options to set colors for Space, Tab and Line Feed separately?

8)