Can UEdit ignore accent marks when sorting?

Can UEdit ignore accent marks when sorting?

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 11, 2008#1

I'm using UltraEdit 12.20b on WinXP Pro with SP2. I would like to sort a list of Spanish vocabulary words in alphabetical order. I have no trouble doing this except when the Spanish word begins with an accented letter, such as ándale or últimamente. UltraEdit puts words with accent marks at the bottom of the list. I looked through the Help file, the FAQ, the PowerTips, and did a search on "sort, accent marks" (without the quotation marks), but I didn't find any discussion of this topic. Is there a way to have UltraEdit ignore the accent marks and just treat the letters as normal letters?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 11, 2008#2

Check option Use Locale. With this option a regional and language specific sort is done. That should work if you have specified the language correct.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 13, 2008#3

Thanks very much, Mofi. I'm sure you're right, but although I selected Use Locale, I couldn't find settings in Advanced --> Set Code Page/Locale that would do what I needed. I frankly don't understand why there were a dozen or so different settings for Spanish (under System Installed Locales), nor what the right setting should be under System Installed Code Pages. Perhaps I should explain that I am in the United States and normally write in English, but recently I've also been writing in Spanish. I have no idea what "System Installed Code Pages" refers to, nor what the correct setting should be to enable UltraEdit to recognize all Spanish accent marks and ignore them when doing an alphabetical sort.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 13, 2008#4

I'm from Austria and so I also don't know which Spanish setting is correct for you. You must take care not to enable the alternate sort method because this internally disables the locale sort. Also a numeric sort in combination with a locale sort is not possible.

You could also try to temporary switch in the Regional and Language Settings of Windows (Control Panel) the country and the language for text services to Spanish (Spain) and additionally do the same in UltraEdit at "Advanced - Set Code Page/Locale" dialog and maybe additionally at "View - Set Code Page". I hope that makes the locale sort then correct.

I have only experience with the locale sort with German language where it is necessary to sort correct lines with ÄÖÜäöüß.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 13, 2008#5

Mofi, Vielen Dank! Following your instructions, I changed the Regional and Language setting in Control Panel to Spanish (Mexico) and made the same change in System Installed Locales. System Installed Code Pages automatically changed to 1252 (ANSI - Latin I), and those changes enabled me to do the kind of sort I needed, namely, to have words like ándale and últimamente sorted with the other words beginning with a or u rather than put at the end. ¡Muchas gracias! Ich bin richtig dankbar. :D