File - Revert to saved is grayed out

File - Revert to saved is grayed out

NewbieNewbie

Apr 07, 2008#1

I tried searching the forums for Revert to Saved, but did not find what I was looking for there.

I had a file on a Novell network mapped drive open in UE when it said the file has been deleted, and I wanted to keep it open. I answered Yes. Now, I know the file has not been deleted, and verified that from the command prompt.

However, now I cannot revert to saved because it is gray. How do I get around this?

I have a similar problem when I open a file on my boss's machine and he saves using Developer's Studio. That writes a new file, deletes the original, and renames, which confuses UE.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 08, 2008#2

When UltraEdit opens a file it keeps it's whole file info (long file name, file date, file time, file attributes, short file name, ...) of the file in memory. If anything in the file info changes and it was not done by UltraEdit itself, it knows that another program has changed the file.

If the file is deleted and next a new one with the same name is created, it is not the file anymore that UltraEdit has opened (for example short name could be different). Therefore if you are working with temp files as you do, UltraEdit asks you if you wish to keep the file content of the deleted file because UltraEdit has a copy of it - the temp file. But it is just a temp file, so you need to save it using Save As command. Then Revert to Saved will work again.

If you want to reload a file which was temporarily deleted and UltraEdit has recognized this deletion and therefore handles the file as deleted even if a new file with the same name was created next, you have to close and re-open the temporarily deleted file. If you need this often you can use a macro for that job with a hot key for fast execution:

Clipboard 9
      CopyFilePath
      Open "^c"
      ClearClipboard
      Clipboard 0
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 08, 2008#3

Thank you for the excellent and helpful explanation. I'm well on my way now.