Suggestions for the user interface

Suggestions for the user interface

NewbieNewbie

May 14, 2005#1

change this ugly installer, make it look profesional and clean. (like nullsoft, wise, etc).
    what happend with old icons? give an options to change it. the old one look imho much better.

Power UserPower User

May 16, 2005#2

Wow, you must be the only person to prefer the crusty old icons over the shiny new ones. :wink:

Basic UserBasic User

May 16, 2005#3

I prefer the old ones also... I think they're too small to have as much detail as the new ones do.

Basic UserBasic User

May 16, 2005#4

I cannot say that I don't like new icons, but I have to agree with gcc2.
          UltraEdit's user interface definetely needs some refinement.

Basic UserBasic User

May 16, 2005#5

Another vote (actually 2 years ago I made suggestions that current UE GUI is very 'primitive'). But I will wait for IDM to decide.

Power UserPower User

May 17, 2005#6

roland wrote:I prefer the old ones also... I think they're too small to have as much detail as the new ones do.
              Have you tried configuring your toolbars to use large icons instead? Right click over the toolbar and select "Large Buttons."

Basic UserBasic User

May 17, 2005#7

Large is simply too large. I want the small icons with the appropriate amount of detail that allows a discerning glance.

Basic UserBasic User

May 19, 2005#8

I like the old ones better too. The new ones are little too colorful and busy.

The default UE interface is not good-looking but I always use my configured setting files to overwrite and make it nice and consisting of really useful icons (not some like "Exit Program") :)

Basic UserBasic User

May 20, 2005#9

Yikes, where were you guys when we were all yelling for new icons for the past several years? Quite a few of them are essentially unchanged, but I'll take the new any day.

Basic UserBasic User

May 20, 2005#10

I like the new ones better than the old ones big time!
                      But I think the gui could be better and more slick looking too.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 27, 2008#11

I've known UltraEdit for years and have known many people who use it and like it. And as more and more features have been added to it over the years, how about a GUI refresh? I find it very outdated. There are far less sophisticated tools out there which have a very pleasant and contemporary (say Office-2003 or even Office 2007-like) interface. I am not 100% sure how much regular users value nice-looking and functional interface, but I'm sure there much to be wanted from UE on this side. Good interface is IMHO always a good investment, and it can really increase productivity. What do you think?

MasterMaster

Mar 28, 2008#12

I'm quite happy with the look-and-feel of UE 14 and UC 5. In my opinion, it nicely achieves balance between simplicity, functionality and "eye candy", especially now with the environments feature.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 07, 2008#13

I use UltraEditor since ver.6. Today I paid for upgrade to ver.14a (I used v.11 before). I hate this new icons. The best icons were up to ver.8. Let me explain why XP/VISTA style is bad for humans. Our eyes see when they make fast moves (like vibration). This is for recognizing brightness change. This is why when an image is blurr eyes are getting tired faster. Images must be sharp to keep our eyes in good shape. It was a good leap in quality from CRT to LCD display by Microsoft spoiled it all by changing sharp looking icons in Win.2000 to blurr in XP. And so called "Clear Type" blurred symbols harm our vision too. This is science. And this is true. And I want to have option to return to old sharp, cartoon-looking interface without blurred icons to preserve my vision. Also bluish colors are harmful for our vision - we were born under yellow star, and for us yellow and green color is better. I care about this because I spend 10-12 hours near monitor every day. People with different taste may have right have damaging vision icons but I want to save my vision. Or I will continue to use ver.11, or even ver.7 - all good things were already in 1997.

May 09, 2008#14

I will be very happy to have a choice of icons: old, new, or even my own.
                              And colorful tabs for files (like plugin for Firefox does) - with choice of bright color for active files. So many times I closed by mistake the wrong file - all because of blurred XP-style interface. Ultraedit for me is a tool not a toy, and tool must be sharp and good for my eyes.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 10, 2008#15

Is it not possible to specify your own bitmap for a toolbar command in the toolbar customization dialog?
                                I have never tried to replace the standard icon of one of the standard commands.

Colored open file tabs with special highlighting of the active file is possible. See the settings at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - File Tabs and the help page for the settings in this dialog. I don't know how the plugin of Firefox draws the open file tabs.
                                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria