Unencrypting .uenc file automatically creates .txt file

Unencrypting .uenc file automatically creates .txt file

NewbieNewbie

Aug 12, 2008#1

I have an encrypted file I prefer to stay encrypted, but when I open it, UE automatically creates a .txt file in the same directory. I would prefer it did not do this--the file needs to stay encrypted.

Any way to prevent the text file from being created?

Power UserPower User

Aug 12, 2008#2

I don't believe so. At some point, the file will need to be decrypted -- either in memory or on disk. As UltraEdit is a disk-based editor, I presume that it needs an unencrypted file present in the filesystem. If this concerns you use a secure deletion utility to wipe it after you're finished editing. I believe that IDM's UltraSentry program can integrate with UE. There are a number of free solutions available as well.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 13, 2008#3

Yes, with UltraSentry installed, UltraEdit can be configured to run US after encrypting the file to secure delete the decrypted file used while editing.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 13, 2008#4

>UltraEdit is a disk-based editor

huh? I would say file-based editor, but not disk based. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

I will install UltraSentry, but I sure wish I did not have to--I just don't want an encrypted file to be unencrypted when viewing or editing it.