With N windows opened and maximized, allow me to tile only N-1

With N windows opened and maximized, allow me to tile only N-1

NewbieNewbie

Aug 21, 2008#1

Currently if I have multiple windows opened in a single instance of UE, all maximized so only one window is visible, I cannot view more than one opened file at a time, i.e. I want to be able to tile only a couple of the files I have opened leaving the others hidden. For example if I have N windows opened and untiled (i.e. maximized) the tile window function tiles and displays all N windows. If N is large, the view is unusable. I like to keep multiple windows opened and tabbed ... what can I say.

What I would like to be able to happen is for UE to allow me to select a tab for a window other than the current window and drag it to one of the 4 sides of the application. UE would then know to tile the current window with the window tab I'm dragging about. If I dragged it to the left side, UE would tile vertically with my tab window on the left and the the current window on the right. Same if I were to drag the tab to the top of UE. The tab I'm dragging would tile with the current window to produce two windows horizontally tiled. Make sense?

An example application that allows me to do this is the Eclipse IDE. In a editor view with multiple files opened in tabs, I can drag a tab to any side of the editor window and it will tile with the current window. I can also do it multiple times and they all will tile according to this basic algorithm I just described.

Split window would work if after splitting I could load another file in one of the split frames. But I don't think I can.

Let me know what you think, and thanks tons for a great, light weight but feature rich editor. I've used it forever and plan to continue.

Peace.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 22, 2008#2

The split view is a basic feature of the Windows MDI (multi-document interface) and is only for deviding a view of 1 document into two parts to be able to see one part of a document and while editing in another part of the same document.

I will explain now how the Microsoft MDI features Tile Horizontal and Tile Vertical should be used if many documents are opened at once and only some of them should be tiled horizontally or vertically. This is a general description, not specifically for UltraEdit. You can use the same technique in MS Word, Adobe Reader, and other applications using the Windows MDI.
      1. Click on Window - Minimize All Windows.
      2. Locate now the document windows you want to tile horizontally or vertically and restore these windows, but don't maximize them. In UltraEdit you can do this very simple by clicking on the tab of the document in the open file tabs bar. In other applications you would need to use Window - Windows if you have so many files open at once that you can't find them easily on bottom of the main window.
      3. After restoring the windows of the documents (files) you want to tile horizontally or vertically, click on Window - Tile Horizontal or Tile Vertical. The Microsoft MDI functions recognize only not minimized windows and you will get what you want.
      The Eclipse IDE feature you have described is really a very nice feature and therefore really worth to send it as feature request email to IDM.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 22, 2008#3

OK... that works. Requires a few clicks and pulldowns and such, but the desired end result is achievable. Nice. I'll put in an enhancement request too. Thanks for your help!

Peace.