load ftp directories into project?

load ftp directories into project?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 28, 2007#1

Is it possible to load an entire ftp directory into a project, preserving the subdirectory structure?

Or do I have to go "Add folder", open the appropriate files, then right click this folder in the project pane and click "+ Open Files", then repeat this for all subdirectories?

Please let me know. I haven't had much luck getting responses on this forum yet :(

MasterMaster

Apr 30, 2007#2

Well, just have a quick look to the structure of a project file:

Code: Select all

[Files]
      0=FTP::machinename\/home/userxy/path|file01
      1=FTP::machinename\/home/userxy/path|file02
      2=FTP::machinename\/home/userxy/path|file03

1st: So if you list the files you need via > into a file, paste the result into a prj-file, you can quickly add dozens of files into your self made project file. It's just easy.

2nd: Show me a forum where you gain MORE FREE SUPPORT than in this one.

I hope I adressed your problem correctly.

Hth, Bego
      Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

NewbieNewbie

Apr 30, 2007#3

does that preserve the ftp client's existing directory structure?

MasterMaster

Apr 30, 2007#4

I think I don't really see the problem of "preserving client dir".
          Surely, the directory on the Unix-machine stays untouched.
          You just tell UE: Let me load all the files FROM this or that Unix directory. You then can manipulate those files and write them back DIRECTLY to the Unix-machine.
          There is no "local dir-structure" to preserve.
          Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

NewbieNewbie

Apr 30, 2007#5

But I want to have the project's directory structure mirror the directory structure of the server. I don't want all files clumped into one folder, because that wouldn't be very efficient...

Is there a way?

MasterMaster

Apr 30, 2007#6

Hi impostal22

You don't say which UE version you use. I use UE13a and here is how I deal with a FTP directory:

a) In your project, choose "Add to project..."
              b) and then "new folder...".
              c) Choose a folder on your harddisk that is going to serve as a local replica root of the ftp directory.
              d) uncheck "group"
              e) check "Link folder to FTP"
              f) choose your already prepared FTP account
              g) Enter remote ftp directory root in "remote path"
              h) Enter a number for "maximum recursion level" - how "deep" in subdirectories do you want to go.
              i) If relevant enter a "server clock skew" (press F1 for futher info on this)

then "OK"

Now your local replica folder structure and the ftp directory is linked.

j) now right click on the folder in your project view and choose "download from server". (Use "filter" if you are only interested in certain types of files).

k) Now open and edit files from the local replica of the ftp directory.

l) Whenever you are satisfied with your changes, right click on the local folder in the project view and choose "Upload to server" or "Upload with sync" (btw, I find the UE help somewhat quiet about this "sync").

(Upload - download dialog can be invoked with right click on lower level folders as well as single files thenselves).

(I do not use any version control systems like SVN or CVS).

impostal22, maybe there is something of relevance to your situation in the above?

Cheers, Jorrasdk

Apr 30, 2007#7

And there is a power tip here on the UE site for the procedure described above :

Link Remote Directories to Local Directories

NewbieNewbie

Jul 25, 2007#8

How about a less complicated approach (even though I like and use the local-link option frequently) as other editors are doing - I think this is why this question was posted initially:
                  How about simply dropping a (s)FTP-directory to the project, enabling the user to access all files 'below' this remote directory WITHOUT the need of sync'ing things to a local drive and uploading after change ? Filters could be applied (like 'webfiles', 'all files' or by extension and more) easily. You are directly working on the files (as with linked FTP files) and have ALL files in direct access ...
                  Have a look to Zendstudio (they are doing it like this) and *please* take over this functionality to UE. This is very helpful for firefighting huge remote projects...

NewbieNewbie

Sep 25, 2008#9

Regarding the first post made by jorrasdk, Thanks! I was looking feverishly for the way to do this - couldn't believe that you couldn't load a "project" of files up to an FTP site (like you can with my clunky old Codewright 6.5). It seems like Add to Project ->New Folder is a pretty obscure place to put this - looked past it many times. Oh well, thanks much (you caused me to create a login just so I could say Thanks! :-)
                    -- Lance