How to transfer / copy / move / migrate configuration settings to a new PC?

How to transfer / copy / move / migrate configuration settings to a new PC?

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 11, 2006#1

Hello,

recently I purchased a new PC. After installing UltraEdit on the new PC I like to transfer my configuration settings from the old PC (which I don't want to use in future) to the new one.

I worked with Windows 98 SE on the old PC without personalization.
    Windows XP Professional is installed on the new PC. Here I work with personal (user specific) settings.

I use UltraEdit version 11.

Which files from which directories into which directories have I to transfer from the old PC to the new one, to transfer all my UltraEdit configuration settings?

Thanks for all good hints.

Thomas

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 11, 2006#2

First depending on your version of UltraEdit you can use Advanced - Backup/Restore User Customizations to transfer or copy your configuration files from one PC to another.

Second for a manual copy you have to find the default INI file uedit32.ini. Where this file is located depends on the OS version, OS language, your OS installation and your UltraEdit installation. Best is to run on both machines a search for uedit32.ini with Explorer.

Important: You must have option Show hidden files and folders (WinXP) or All files (Win98) selected in Tools - Folder Options - View - Hidden Files and Folders before executing the search or you maybe will not find it because the user application data directory is by default a hidden directory. You need maybe additionally enabled the advanced search option to search in hidden and system directories, too. You can open the UltraEdit application data directory also by copying %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit into the address bar of Windows Explorer and hit key RETURN or ENTER.

See also in help of UltraEdit the topic INI File Selection and Advanced Settings for details about how UltraEdit searches for the INI file and where it could be found. There is also the topic UltraEdit INI file location which describes in detail how UltraEdit searches for uedit32.ini.

Since UltraEdit v12.20 the full name (including path) of the INI file currently used by UltraEdit is displayed at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced.

Note: Because I am the only user of my machines I prefer the UltraEdit program directory and not the user related application data directory or the Windows directory. If you like this too, move all files except projects.lst on your Windows XP PC where the uedit32.ini is stored also to the UltraEdit program directory before copying the files from Win98. Of course this configuration requires write permissions in the UltraEdit program directory.

From the Windows 98 directory of uedit32.ini copy following files to the uedit32.ini directory on you Windows XP PC.

Code: Select all

*.mfg - menu configuration files
      *.pfg - popup menu configuration files
      *.tfg - toolbar configuration files
      uedit32.*   - currently used configuration files
              ini - your current settings
              in? - workspace settings (>= v15.20 of UE)
              kbd - your current key mappings (< v12.20 of UE)
              uek - your current key mappings (>= v12.20 of UE)
              mnu - your current menu
              pmu - your current popup menu
              tbr - your current toolbars
      Additionally if you have modified or created one or more of the following files which are by default in the UltraEdit program directory, copy them also to the new location. But they can be also anywhere else, if you have specified them in the INI file with the configuration dialog or added manually to uedit32.ini.

columnmarkers.xml - XML file storing column markers (UE v15.10 and later)
      FTPData.ini       - FTP Account data (UE v18.00 and later)
      htmltidy.cfg      - HTMLTidy configuration file, if you have created it manually
      taglist.txt       - UltraEdit tag list file (see tag list)
      taglist.uet       - UltraEdit tag list file with other file extension (v14.00 and later)
      wordfile.txt      - syntax highlighting definition file
      wordfile.uew      - syntax highlighting definition file with other file extension (v14.00 and later)
      wordfiles\*.uew   - wordfiles subdirectory with one wordfile per syntax highlighting language (v15.00 and later)
      uetmplte.dat      - UltraEdit templates (see template list)
      uetmplte.tpl      - UltraEdit global templates (see template list, v18.00 and later)
      *.mac             - your macro files
      *.js              - your script files (UE v13.00 and later)
      That should be all, if you didn't have specified in the UltraEdit configuration dialog to store all settings in the registry instead of the INI file.

Note: After moving all configuration files, open uedit32.ini with Notepad (not with UltraEdit) and correct all absolute paths to one of the moved files. I suggest to search for :\ to find file names with absolute path in uedit32.ini.

Edited on 2006-10-19: The extension for the key mapping configuration file is since v12.20 of UE uek instead of kbd.

Edited on 2006-06-15: Since UE v14.00 many configuration file extensions have been changed. The new file names are:

*.in1 - workspace settings (part of the INI)
      *.mb1 - menu configuration files
      *.pb1 - popup menu configuration files
      *.tb1 - toolbar configuration files (also *.tb0)
      *.te1 - environment template files
      uedit32.*   - currently used configuration files
              ini - your current settings
              uek - your current key mappings
      Also there is a new name for the standard syntax highlighting wordfile which is now wordfile.uew and the tag list file which is now taglist.uet. And these 2 files are by default now located also in the directory of uedit32.ini.

Edited on 2009-10-06: Since UE v15.20 the workspace settings (position, state and size of the additional views and windows) are stored in 1 or more separate files having the same name as the INI file (uedit32) and the file extension inx with x is a number in range of 0 to n (instance number).
      If the configuration setting Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced - Store windows/menu/toolbars placements and configurations for multiple instances of application is not enabled (default), there is only uedit32.in0. If this setting is enabled the number of workspace files depends on the number of instances you have had running parallel once in the past.

Edited on 2012-03-30: The template feature has been greatly enhanced in UE v18.00. File uetmplte.dat and the *.te1 files are no longer used by UE v18.00 and later after converting existing files on first start after an upgrade to XML format used now for templates. They can be deleted manually if there is no plan to downgrade. Binary file uetmplte.dat is converted to XML file uetmplte.tpl. The binary *.te1 files are converted to XML *.tp1 files in templates\environment directory. For more details see Smart templates management.

Edited on 2013-09-21: Environments became Layouts with UltraEdit v20.00. The files belonging to a layout are:

*.in1 - workspace settings
      *.mb1 - menu configuration files
      *.pb1 - popup menu configuration files
      *.tb1 - toolbar configuration files
      And there might be additionally a subdirectory themes in the directory of used INI file (default see above) containing one or more *.ue-theme files since UE v20.00. Those XML files contain the UltraEdit theme settings which can be configured at View - Themes - Manage Themes.

Edited on 2016-12-06: 64-bit UltraEdit stores the configuration settings in uedit64.* files instead of uedit32.* files as the 32-bit version.

With UE for Window v23.00 one more configuration file was added: uedit32.rb0 respectively uedit64.rb0 with ribbon/menu/toolbar configuration.

Edited on 2017-11-28: With UE for Windows v24.00 and UEStudio v17.00 some ANSI encoded configuration files are now Unicode encoded indicated by u before file extension, for example uedit64u.ini. UE v24.00+ and UES v17.00+ automatically convert the ANSI encoded configuration files from former versions of UE/UES automatically to Unicode on first start after an upgrade and then use only the *u.* configuration files. The ANSI encoded version of those configuration files are no longer used after exiting UE/UES after first start after upgrade. They can be deleted safely manually to clean up the application data folder after the upgrade of the configuration.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 28, 2008#3

I have 10.10c installed, and it looks like only the .ini and .kbd files exist (I found them in the C:\WINDOWS directory). I was finally forced to upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, so I had to go through the same thing in transferring my configs. What I ended up doing was copying across said .ini and .kbd files and then using regedit to export these two branches:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\Toolbars State
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\Toolbars State_Toolbar_ID_59392

and then imported them into the registry of my new installation after installing UltraEdit. Seems to work great!