Saving FTP-linked files doesn't upload

Saving FTP-linked files doesn't upload

NewbieNewbie

Apr 11, 2006#1

I was expecting that when I save a file in my project that's linked to an FTP, it would automatically upload the file. Is this not the case? Is there an easy way to trigger an upload per file? (keyboard shortcut?)

Right now I have to go to each file in the project tree and select Upload or upload the whole project. Both are painful solutions. (It would be nice if I could use modified dates to do partial uploads.)

Apr 14, 2006#2

From the sounds of other posts here, the FTP functionality cannot save to both local and remote copies at the same time. This makes the "local copy" option seem pretty pointless.

NewbieNewbie

Re: Saving FTP-linked files doesn't upload

Nov 02, 2008#3

Is there a fix available for this problem yet?

It seems logical if you save a local file linked to an ftp site it would automatically upload to the ftp.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 03, 2008#4

Which version of UE do you have installed?

Hotfix info for v14.20.0.1035 contains the line:

Fixed local copy directory (for FTP transfers)

Please always check for an update - Help - Check for Updates - if something does not work as expected.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 03, 2008#5

Yep thats the version I have. 14.20.0.1035.

I created my project. Linked it to an ftp account.

But when I edit a local file it does not upload it to the ftp site. Unless I do it manually

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 03, 2008#6

I don't have any project using files opened via FTP (FTP based project). According to the power tip Configure FTP Backup and the UltraEdit help for Local Copy Directory this directory is a backup from what is on the server. It is just a local backup for the files on the server. It looks like it is not designed that you open files from this local backup directory and on save UltraEdit automatically logs in on the server and uploads the file. You have to manually upload it when modifying local files. But if you open a file via FTP and save it, UltraEdit creates first a local backup and then uploads the file.

What you want is explained in the power tip Link remote directories to local directories. But as described in step 4, you have to upload the modified files manually. Of course you can upload whole folders and folder structures. I don't know if UltraEdit determines which file was modified in a directory and uploads then only the modified files in the directory or all files. In the FTP log you should see if UE just uploads all files or runs a synchronize.

If you make changes in many local files at once, for example with a Replace in Files operation, it would be better to use UltraCompare Professional or a special FTP client like Total Commander or WS FTP to synchronize the local files with the files on the server if UltraEdit uploads always all files instead of using a synchronization mechanism.

Please note, I don't have experience with working with files via FTP in UltraEdit. Maybe somebody else has more knowledge than I.

You can also contact the IDM support per email and ask for help. With buying the license you paid also for the support by email. That's one of the main differences between freeware/open source applications and shareware/licensed applications - individual support by the producer of the application is often implemented in the price.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria