Context help is always on top, how to change that?

Context help is always on top, how to change that?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 03, 2004#1

I've set up a CHM as a context help, i.e. a help file triggered by F1.

I normally work on Windows 2000, and it works great. I can have UE start up the help file using F1, and switch back and forth between UE and the help file.

In a single work setup, I'm (unfortunately) forced to use a Windows XP machine, and I've set up UE and the CHM identical to described above. UE works fine, but on XP, when I use F1, the context help pops up ok, but it's modal, so I can't switch back to UE. I have to close the help file window to get back to editing in UE. Quite a nuisance.

What do I need to do in UE to have the help file pop up as non-modal, as is apparently default behaviour on Win 2000 ?

I'm (still) running UE 10.10a

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 03, 2004#2

Are you sure it is actually modal, or is does it just stay above your UE display, while allowing you to work on the window behind it, or allowing you to minimize the help window?

Dan
      Daniel Kirkdorffer
      http://www.kirkdorffer.com/

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2004#3

DanKirkd:

I'm just now sitting at the XP work station, and you're right. I posted from memory, and alas, I remembered incorrectly.

It's not modal after all, it's "just" blocking my view of UE.

It seems I can minimize the help file and switch back to UE, but why is it behaving differently than on W2K? Is it a different process setup on XP, and if so, is there a way in UE to circumvent it to get that old "W2K look'n'feel" back? :)

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 04, 2004#4

This wouldn't be a matter of look and feel, but rather behavior. I don't know how this behaves on Win2K as I use WinXP, but I'm with regarding the help window's pesky desire to retain top position with repect to the main UE window. This must have changed when they moved to the new help format. I think this should be modified.

Dan
          Daniel Kirkdorffer

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 04, 2004#5

On your XP machine start UE, open Advanced -Configuration - General - section Display and uncheck the parameter Show CHM user help files always on top.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 04, 2004#6

Hm, setting this option never seems to stick. When I close and re-open UE the option is reset, to unset.

Any ideas?

Dan
              Daniel Kirkdorffer

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 05, 2004#7

Daniel, you are right. The configuration of Show CHM user help files always on top is not saved in UE v10.10. It must be manually added to the INI file, if someone wants to configure it. I will report this bug to IDM. To deactivate ithis setting, enter following in the INI file

[Settings]
                Help On Top=0

Now back to real problem discussed here, that the help window is always on top on XP although this is not wanted. Changing the setting as written here should solve the problem.

Also possible is that a special desktop management program like HydraVision from ATI is running, which controls the window properties. For example with HydraVision you can set, that a specific application is always on top, which could cause the problem described here. Just a second idea.
                Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 09, 2004#8

Thanks both.

Mofi, your suggestion to edit the INI file works perfectly. With "Help On Top=0" the help window now works like a normal window.

:D