File types versus formats

File types versus formats

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 25, 2007#1

I see where I can set file types and extensions, but is there a way to set file formats as defaults for certain file types -- like for Registry entries, setting the format to default to UTF-16?

I seem to sometimes end up with Unicode ASCII Escaped... not entirely sure why, just that sometimes if I don't stipulate file formats, I end up with problems.

So it seems that UE, in reading the registry entries, isn't always saving it like it should... so I must have some setting amiss...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 27, 2007#2

No, you can't specify the file format according to file extensions. New files are always saved in the format you have specified in the Save As dialog and this setting is remembered for next Save As.

If you have problems with the Format setting in the Save As dialog because you sometimes forgot to change it back to what you normally need after once using a different format, I suggest not to use it. Set the Format setting in the Save As dialog to Default and use the File - Conversions functions whenever a new file needs a special format.

All you can specify in the configuration is what type of line terminator you want for new files by default (DOS/UNIX/MAC) and if new files should be by default an ASCII/ANSI file or a Unicode file. That's it.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Dec 05, 2008#3

Set the Format setting in the Save As dialog to Default
        What decides the value of 'Default' ?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 05, 2008#4

Default results in saving a new file with format (encoding) and line terminators the file currently has as indicated in the status bar at bottom of the UltraEdit main window - see in help of UE on page Status Bar the chapter File Type.

If an existing file was opened and is saved now as new file, it will have exactly the same format and line terminators as the opened file had including the existence of the byte order mark (BOM) for UTF files, except something was changed automatically on file load depending on various configuration settings or by the user with commands at File - Conversions.

Following configuration settings determine the file format and line terminators too:
          • The setting Create new files as Unicode at Editor - New File Creation (for UE < v16.00).
          • The settings at File Handling - DOS/UNIX/MAC Handling.
          • The 2 UTF-8 settings at File Handling - Save.
          • The settings at File Handling - Unicode/UTF-8 Detection.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria