Character encoding

Character encoding

NewbieNewbie

Feb 22, 2005#1

Hi everyone,
    I'm a webpage producer, I'm using UE to edit webpages in various languages. I want to ask whether it is possible to set UE to edit/save my files in specific encoding e.h. ISO-8859-2, Windows-1252 etc...

thank you
    Alex

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2005#2

Yeah, I have the same problem...
      There must be some way - UE is the only editor where I can't set this.
      Also, I don't get it file > conversion... How do I know, what is current file format?

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 28, 2005#3

Unfortunately UltraEdit doesn't support user selectable file encoding. I have to use a different editor for my web work, only because of this limitation.
        I've suggested this to IDM developers, many times. They've told me that will investigate the possibility of implementing this in a future update.
        I'm pretty sure that will not happen really soon though.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 28, 2005#4

Damn, its a really bad news for me :/
          I have just finished some project in UE, but I need PL chars in iso-8859-2 encoding. I've tried to open these files in another editor, change encoding, and save but this won't solve the problem.
          Is there any way to fix that problem without manual rewrite all the code?

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 29, 2005#5

If you have another editor that supports extended (ISO) encodings then you can save your UltraEdit project as Unicode, import it from the other editor and finally change the encoding to whatever you want.
            I did that using Dreamweaver and worked. Not the best method though.

I always wondered why IDM authors didn't implement this feature even in the latest UEdit Studio !

NewbieNewbie

Mar 07, 2006#6

Yeah that's funny deadlock:
              UE does not support iso-8859-2 encoding but supports windows-1250.
              On the other hand php multibyte conversion functions does not support windows-1250 but support iso-8859-2.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 24, 2006#7

There is a way, open an iso-8859-2 document, go to "view/set code page" and choose "iso-8859-2", than go to: "file/conversions" and choose ASCII to UNICODE, than you will see all diacritics right, but when you want save edited code/text you must convert it back, so choose UNICODE to ASCII and save it, thats it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 18, 2008#8

Just for info if somebody finds and reads this old thread:

Starting with v12.10 UltraEdit supports code page conversion, auto detection of the code page needed for a file (charset tags in HTML and XML files) and the user can specify at any time for every opened file individually the code page to use for that file which is used when converting from Unicode to ASCII/ANSI and vice versa.

IDM has written also the power tip Unicode text and Unicode files in UltraEdit/UEStudio which contains also general information about character encoding.
                  Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria