How to split window into 2 panes?

How to split window into 2 panes?

NewbieNewbie

Jun 14, 2006#1

How I would like Split Window to work:
    • Place my cursor on the line where I would like the window to be split;
    • click Split Window;
    • the part of the screen that was above my cursor would now be in the upper panel;
    • the part of the screen that was below my cursor would now be in the lower panel.
    That is my intuition for what "splitting a window" would be, and is what would be most helpful to me, rather than it going to the trouble to remove what I was looking at below the cursor and replacing it with another view of what was above the cursor; maybe this would be a different feature rather than a changed one, if the current mode suits others?

Also, I would like for it to be immediately obvious where my active cursor is after the window splitting.

I would appreciate discussion / suggestions!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 14, 2006#2

The window split feature is a standard feature of multi-document applications. For example MS Word, MS Excel and Adobe Reader have it also. Use Window - Split Window to simply split the active document window horizontally into 2 panes with a 50 : 50 split.

For better controlling where the split is done use the mouse.
      • Move the mouse pointer over the small rectangle above the vertical scroll bar which results in changing the mouse pointer from an arrow to a symbol with two small horizontal lines with very small up and down arrows,
      • press primary mouse button (left button for right hand mouse),
      • hold the mouse button,
      • move the mouse down and you will see a thin shaded horizontal line across the document window which also moves down.
      • Leave the primary mouse button when just the first line of the file is visible and splitting the document window into 2 panes is finished.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 14, 2006#3

Wow! I never knew that about that tiny rectangle! Thanks for that tidbit.

Still, it seems to split in the same way. What I am trying to describe that I wish for is:

If lines 1-31 of my text file are showing on the screen,
        and I put the cursor on line #15, and click Split Window (or whatever the new function might be called),
        I would like for lines #1-15 to then show in the top panel,
        and lines #16-30 to be showing in the bottom panel.

In the olden days (read DOS...), I had a text editor that would do that simply, and it is so often the starting point that I want for program editing.

Thanks again.

MasterMaster

Jun 14, 2006#4

I never knew that trick either. Combining it with the behavior you're asking for would be very convenient. I'll forward the suggestion to IDM.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 14, 2006#5

*And*... I went and tried that window splitting in MS Word since I had never tried that, and it seems to split in the way that I'm describing! Who would have thought...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 15, 2006#6

I personally don't want the splitting as you would like. Why?

Whenever I use 2 window panes for a file (Word and UE), one of the panes is set by me to a completely different file position.

In UE/UES when I split the window, the first lines of the lower pane always shows the same as the upper pane. So I have to move the cursor with PageUp/PageDn only to the new position I want in the upper pane. I use the upper pane for editing and the lower pane shows what I need for editing in the upper pane and the lower pane is more or less fixed.

In MS Word I'm forced to adjust either both panes or continue editing in the lower pane and the upper pane is more or less fixed.

Exta Hint: Switching focus between the 2 panes can be done with key F6 (command FocusNextPane) or Shift+F6 (command FocusPreviousPane) if this hotkey is not assigned to another command. F6 and Shift+F6 are standard hotkeys for switching the focus between 2 window panes. They work in many other applications too. (I have never seen a window splitted into more than 2 panes, but it is possible.)

MasterMaster

Jun 15, 2006#7

Also - if you have a large screen, you can use the Duplicate Window feature combined with Tiling to get more than two views of your file. Not a very efficient use of space for just two views, however.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 15, 2006#8

Cute (the dup window combined with tiling).

I can see that it would just be a matter of preference on the way split-window starts up, but I have a very strong preference for the non-dup panes that perhaps they could accommodate some day some way... they did tell me they would consider it for a future release. Maybe as a "preference" setting for how split-window should start up?

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 15, 2006#9

I would like to be able to split the window vertically. The duplicate window option is a neat hack I was unaware off. Neat tricks like this are why I visit the forum. :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 16, 2006#10

toddm wrote:I would like to be able to split the window vertically.
                      Are you often editing long lines and you want to always see the start of the lines at the left side and scroll horizontally only at the right side. Then there is a function to "split" the window vertically.

In menu View - Set Column Markers set column marker 1 to what you need. Also in menu View enable Show Column Marker 1 and No Scroll Left Side of Marker1.

Jun 16, 2006#11

Many of my files are 80 columns wide or less and sometimes I like to see multiple parts of the file simultaneously. Because the lines are skinny I can see more code if the screen is split vertically.

Dec 05, 2007#12

toddm wrote:Many of my files are 80 columns wide or less and sometimes I like to see multiple parts of the file simultaneously. Because the lines are skinny I can see more code if the screen is split vertically.
                          Another thing you could do is allow multiple instances of UE, then use Windows tile function to view each tiled vertically. Here's how using UE v13.20:
                          1. In the UE menu, click Advanced > Configuration, expand Application Layout and select Miscellaneous. Check the "Allow Multiple Instances" option. Close and reopen Ultraedit.
                          2. In that already open session of Ultraedit, open the first file you want to work with.
                          3. Start a second session of Ultraedit (just start UE normally and it will open a second session due to the changes you made in first step. In that second UE session, open the second file you want to work with (Yes, you can open the same file again (see Note below).
                          4. On the Windows Taskbar, while continuing to hold down the Ctrl key, click on the buttons for both UltraEdit sessions until they both appear to be pressed (darkened). Using the RIGHT mouse button, click on either of those darkened buttons and then select "Tile Vertically".
                          Note: When you have the same file open in two sessions and plan to make changes, you should only apply changes to one of them. Here's why: Changes made in one session are not automatically applied or even displayed in the second session. Once you save the changed file, you can then activate the other session (click on anywhere in it's window), and Ultraedit will then notify you that the file has changed and prompt you as to whether it should be reloaded (yes). You don't have to reload if you just close the second session without saving.
                          Caution! If you do not reload the second session and then save it too, you will have effectively undone all the changes made in the first session.

Hope that is clear enough and that you find this useful!

NewbieNewbie

Dec 14, 2008#13

Mofi wrote:In menu View - Set Column Markers set column marker 1 to what you need. Also in menu View enable Show Column Marker 1 and No Scroll Left Side of Marker1.
                            However this is not a full functioned Vertical Split Window, because there is no Function List support in left side.
                            Moreover your method is not working in the latest version, v14.20.1.1001.
                            Is there any method to enable the Split Window as vertical?

Dec 15, 2008#14

UEStudio '09 and UltraEdit v15.00 and later support quick tiling document windows vertically and horizontally, see the power tip Vertical & Horizontal Split Window. The power tip has not a good title because the document area is split and not a document window. The power tip is about how to arrange document windows. Of course it is possible to duplicate a document window and then tile 2 document windows of the same file to get a real vertical split.

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 13, 2009#15

Mofi wrote:Click with the primary button (left button for right hand mouse) on the small rectangle box over the vertical scroll bar and hold it.
                                Mofi, thank you for this tip. Until I read your post I never knew you could split a window like that. :)