Problem with paragraph format - data loss!

Problem with paragraph format - data loss!

NewbieNewbie

Jan 21, 2009#1

Hello,

I'm using UltraEdit version 14.10.0.1024 and I discovered a serious bug. Sometimes (I can't exactly say how to reproduce it), when I do "paragraph -> format paragraph" (I don't know the exact term, since I'm using the german version, and there it is "Absatz neu formatieren"), some characters of the text are just lost.

Please have a look at the screenshot - the first picture shows the paragraph before the format, and the second after the format. You can clearly see in the red marked area, that some characters are lost. I'm not able to re-do the format, and on bigger paragraphs the character-loss is bigger.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks a lot for your help

Best regards,
    Ben

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 21, 2009#2

First I suggest to update to latest version as long as v14 install packages are available which could be soon not possible anymore or at least download the install package.

Second a quick test with UE v14.20.1.1006 reformatted a sample paragraph fine. I guess this happens only under certain conditions.

What format have your files - UTF-8, UTF-16, ASCII?

Which line endings have your files - UNIX, DOS?

Which reformatting options do you have specified?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 22, 2009#3

My version is now v14.20.1.1006 and I still have the problem. I even can reproduce it every time.

The text file I use has the format "UTF-8 without BOM" with UNIX linefeeds (LF).

- Hanging indent
        - Use paragraph left margin
        - Right margin (after # column): 69
        - Alignment: Left

I have here a text file for reproducing the problem reliably, you can get it here:
        http://www.the-cr.de/_temp/2009-01-22/ue_problem.txt

Download the file, than jump to the last line, format it and then format it a _second time_ - than some characters are lost.

Thanks a lot for your help

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 25, 2009#4

I can reproduce the problem you have described in your previous post with English version of UltraEdit too. This is definitely a bug in program code of UltraEdit. I suggest you send a bug report email to IDM support. Just copy the text of your previous post into this email (I have corrected slightly the Englisch names of the options) and attach the small text file or keep the link to this file in the email. Thanks.

It is very interesting that only on the second execution characters are lost. But only the IDM developers can find out why this happens.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 26, 2009#5

Thank you, I just send the email to the support. I hope they will fix that soon, I have no experience with IDM's software lifecycle time and how fast they are fixing such bugs :) Looking forward to an update.