No undo when file is saved

No undo when file is saved

Basic UserBasic User

May 26, 2005#1

Hi,

I have a problem using UltraEdit which is bugging the hell out of me!
    When i open a file and save it (in this case, the file is saved to FTP), it's impossible to undo beyond the changes made after the save. So effectively, you can't save, undo stuff you did and save again...
    Is it a setting which might be causing this?

Thanks.

Basic UserBasic User

May 27, 2005#2

I'm able to undo past the Save point. Possibly you have an Advanced setting enabled. Go to the Advanced menu, select Configuration, scroll all the way to the bottom of the General tab, where you'll find an advanced option that reads: "Delete original file before saving the file."

Uncheck that. Also test 2-3 others in that same section if they're checked.

Basic UserBasic User

May 27, 2005#3

The setting wasn't checked. The only 2 options checked in the Advanced section are the top 2.
        I'm pointing out that this happens to me when saving to FTP, and doesn't occur all the time. Though when it happens, it sticks.

kagel73
        kagel73

May 28, 2005#4

This has bugged me for some time as well. It's very annoying and haven't found a fix for it.

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 06, 2005#5

It seems to me, that it happens when a file is saved to FTP, and the encoding is different then DOS (or ASCII editing). When you look at the bottom bar, and i edit while it sais (U8-DOS), it switches to DOS when i save to FTP (why is that anyway?). Whenever this switch occurs, undo data is lost too.
            Can anyone confirm?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2005#6

Has anybody found a solution for the problem? I have exactly the same problem when I use files from an FTP-Server.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 09, 2005#7

Ultra is right. There appears to be an issue with the file coding. You should be able to modify this under File/Conversions. I had to switch U8-DOS to U-DOS. Now I can save and undo new files. The other files I have on the server are DOS, but I'm not sure how to switch to just DOS.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 03, 2006#8

Could you guys check your UEv12 with the following bug:

1. Try opening the file which has UNIX endlines and is UTF-8.
                  2. Do some editing
                  3. Save the file.
                  4. Did you lost all the undo history?

I had reported this as a bug to IDM.

slawek-

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 05, 2006#9

I cannot reproduce your problem. Have you installed latest hotfix 2 of UE v12? Which settings do you use?

See my post at File change while opening a xml file with UltraEdit how to best setup UE for editing Unicode files.

Note: If you have not enabled working with a temp file you will not have undos. And some special editing functions like editing in column mode also breaks the undo chain.
                    Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 08, 2006#10

Hello Mofi, thanks for your comment.

I have read your post and checked my config. Everything seems to be fine with it, especially temporary files settings.

I've made a little screencast which I've sent to IDM:
                      http://pucia.com/files/ue/no-undo-ftp-utf.avi

slawek-

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 26, 2006#11

Looking at the post dates above it seems to be a problem which exists already very long and IDM maybe can't find a solution for it.

I tested the Undo on a locally stored UTF-8 file. But it seems to exist only for UTF-8 files opened from FTP because of the conversion to Unicode and back needed for editing. I have edited never files opened directly from FTP, so I can't help you further on this issue.
                        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 27, 2006#12

As Mofi said, this is an old unfixed bug.
                          Unfortunately both UE and UES have many more Unicode related bugs still existed in latest builds. Some of them have been reported by me, months ago, confirmed by IDM but still unfixed. I'm very very disappointed...

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 23, 2006#13

I came acrosss the same problem. This isn't an ideal fix but it works:

Copy the file contents and paste them in to a new file.
                            Then delete the old file.
                            Now save the new file with the original file name and it should be back to DOS encoding instead of U-DOS

NewbieNewbie

Feb 20, 2007#14

This bug make me crazy too, I have version 12.20b+1... It happen every time, when I save file in UTF-8 Unicode Editing mode, because before saving UltraEdit converts file to ASCII Editing mode and then back. Probably this action cleans up undo history.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 11, 2009#15

Instead of ultra's fix, i.m.o. there is a better way to fix it:

Open your file. If your UE status bar reads "U8-DOS" (this is when the bug occurs), go to File > Conversions and choose UTF-8 to ASCII. Save your file and undo will work again.