Slow FTP connection

Slow FTP connection

Aug 25, 2006#1

I experience about a 30 second delay in the initial FTP connection from my windows box to the Linux server. After connecting, selecting and downloading files is very fast. My router firewall is set to give FTP the highest priority, but I am still getting the inital connection delay. Does anybody have some suggestions on this?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 04, 2006#2

I guess, this is not an UltraEdit or UEStudio issue. Contact the support of your Linux server and ask what could be the reason for such a long initial connection time. But a few seconds (3-10) is typical.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jun 21, 2007#3

I'm experiencing this also and I think it is Windows problem - I have the same delay problem logging into the Linux server with a PuTTy SSH client. I don't know what's brought it on but it is probably stupid Windows caching the fact that a certificate challenge was cancelled or something. I'm still trying to track it down - in the mean time wouldn't it be great if UltraEdit also ran on a real operating system - then I could finally say 'Have ya' la Vista - Baby' to Mr Gates

NewbieNewbie

Jan 14, 2009#4

This is usually caused by an invalid DNS lookup on connection.

We fixed it by doing this on our linux servers:
          sudo pico /etc/ssh/sshd_config
          Added the line: UseDNS no
          sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart

Hope this helps

Feb 14, 2009#5

This solution solved the issue for me. Many thanks.