UE started "as administrator" doesn't accept drag and drop

UE started "as administrator" doesn't accept drag and drop

NewbieNewbie

Feb 03, 2009#1

Hi to all.
    I've started my UE14 with administrator privileges, but I discovered that in this way I cannot drag&drop any file to it! Is it a known problem or my Vista Ultimate is joking with me?
    Obviously if I run UE in standard mode I keep dragging any file without any problems...
    TIA
    Sergio
    Italy
    Sergio Sardo
    Bollate - Italy

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 03, 2009#2

Please be more specific with "administrator". On Windows Vista there are 2 different administrators. The system administrator is used when you login with the preinstalled and preconfigured administrator account or when installing applications which additionally install and register services started with the system account. There is also the computer administrator. This type of administrator is used when you setup a non restricted user account. Even with a computer administrator account you don't have the same full rights as the system administrator when UAC (= User Account Control) is enabled which is the case by default.

I suggest to try if it makes a difference when UAC is disabled - see how to disable UAC.

Maybe you have to change a policy. I entered in Google vista drag drop problem and there are lots of pages found which describes when Vista is blocking drag and drop. For example Drag And Drop not working on vista. Especially this sentence is of interest for you:
      Wendy Friedlander wrote:Application A will not accept "drags" from application B because Vista prevents lower security applications from giving data (and potentially hurting) higher level applications.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 03, 2009#3

Vista = :-(
        Now I've learned another - quite - stupid choice from Msoft "software engineers"...
        Anyway, Thanks! to all.
        Sergio Sardo
        Bollate - Italy

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 16, 2009#4

Ssardo wrote:Now I've learned another - quite - stupid choice from Msoft "software engineers"...
          This statement betrays ignorance on you part.
          ACLs have been around for a while in Solaris, and for a good reason, and now that Microsoft is trying to do similar in its OS for sake of security, all of sudden their engineers are stupid. Right.
          Just to play the game, you really should pick up a book on Vista and have a read. You won't learn anything smart because you already know it's stupid (by stupids), however, I dare suggest it will make your interaction with a Vista a more pleasant experience.