ANSI letters æ, ø, å shown correct but false hex values

ANSI letters æ, ø, å shown correct but false hex values

NewbieNewbie

Oct 20, 2005#1

My UltraEdit 32 (new version 11.10c+1) is configured with ISO 8859-1 Latin 1 as system installed code page (and Danish as system installed locales). 
    When writing a page, a PHP file, the Danish letters æ, ø and å are correctly shown on the screen but the hex codes behind are wrong (æ: 91, ø: 9B, å: 86, Æ: 92, Ø: 9D, Å: 8F), and the browser correspondingly shows some wrong signs.

An earlier question in this forum is about a German umlaut problem. I supposed it was something like mine - but the solution there, view->set font to true type and disable Use OEM Fixed Pitch Font, does NOT solve my problem.

The problem also works the other way around! When manually changing the hex values to the correct ones, I get the correct letters æ, ø, and å on the webpage - but UltraEdit shows some wrong signs in its screen although the hex values now are correct to result in æ, ø, å, ...

Any idea what to do?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: ANSI letters æ, ø, å: shown correct but false hex values

Oct 20, 2005#2

I guess, you have the OEM character settings (old DOS) active. Turn off View - OEM Character Set. It seems, that you also have the automatic keyboard converting feature for OEM character set active. Change following value in the ini-file uedit32.ini to 0 as shown below.

[Settings]
      ConvertKBDInput=0

After setting this values and restart of UE, check if the danish characters are now with correct hex code and are also displayed correct. If not, check also the font settings at Advanced - Configuration - Edit, because with UE v11 the fonts can also be individually set for each file type (i.e. *.txt can have an other font than *.htm).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Oct 20, 2005#3

It works! Thanks!
        I have as you suggested turned off View - OEM Character Set - then it works.
        Later, I'll try to change in the ini file, but have to get a closer look at it first. I'll return if it change things.

Oct 21, 2005#4

Went into .ini and looked for (cf. Mofi above):

[Settings]
          ConvertKBDInput=0

There is a line nearly like it so I'll leave it there:
          ConvertBDInput=0 (which is already =0)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 21, 2005#5

Do you really have an entry named ConvertBDInput without the K?

This can only be a mistake, because this setting name is not supported by uedit32.exe (= does not exist in uedit32.exe like ConvertKBDInput). You can delete this wrong entry.

The ConvertKBDInput setting is described in the help of UltraEdit at topic "INI File Selection and Advanced Settings".

A more detailed help:

If setting ConvertKBDInput is not present (=default), the character conversation is automatically controlled by the View - OEM Character Set setting. If OEM Character Set is ON, the conversation is also ON. If it is OFF, the conversation is also OFF.

By manually adding ConvertKBDInput=0 to the ini-file, this automatical setting is turned off and characters are always inserted in ANSI mode. So if a user now have activated View - OEM Character Set by mistake, it will immediatelly see that something is wrong, because the characters are inserted with correct ANSI hex code but are not displayed correct.

ConvertKBDInput=1 activates the conversation to OEM, but only if OEM Character Set is active for the current file. In the Edit configuration tab, it can be specified by the file extension, which file should be automatically edited with OEM character set/font or with ANSI character set/font.

ConvertKBDInput=1 is needed for guys like I, which still have to edit files in old OEM character set by default with extended characters (ASCII code higher 127 or 0x7F) like the german umlauts. I use a second ini-file called ueditdos.ini with all the special ini-settings for OEM character editing and a little different text background color. The ini-file is loaded by uedit32.exe with the /i= command line parameter and I use it whenever I'm forced to edit old files with OEM character set to avoid character mismatches during normal editing purposes. So I have 2 main UltraEdit ini-files: uedit32.ini for normal editing in ANSI mode and ueditdos.ini for editing in OEM (old DOS) mode.

NewbieNewbie

German umlaut problem: wrong display, but correct hex

Feb 15, 2006#6

Hello,

I hope someone can help me, I've the following problem:
              When I enter a German umlaut for example 'ü' the letter displays as '³' while it has the correct hex-value (0xFC). The problem is the same with öä, their uppercases and ß.

I already checked the tips above, but they didn't do much help (my first problem was, that when 'ü' was typed 'ü' was displayed, but the hex-value was wrong (0x81 instead of 0xFC). For this problem 'Danish letters...' was a great help)

What have I to do to see the letters diplayed correctly?
              My settings are:
              UltraEdit 11.20b (German version)
              -Font: Courier New, no OEM Font
              -Codepage: 1252 (ANSI - Latin I)
              -Country-setting: Deutsch (Deutschland) German (Germany)
              The ini-File contains
              [Settings]
              ConvertKBDInput=0

TIA,
              Roman

MasterMaster

Re: German umlaut problem: wrong display, but correct hex

Feb 16, 2006#7

Hmm,

I see ü when working with "Courier new", Zeichensatz "Western" and checkbox "OEM-Schrift mit fixer Zeichenbreite verwenden" UNCHECKED.

Only if I CHECK this checkbox, ü changes to "uppercase-3".
                With the same step, Terminal font is set automatically !?
                Maybe because with "Courier new" this is not possible ....

Don't know why you cant see the ü then ... sry

rds Bego
                Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 16, 2006#8

But I know it! You have turned off convert keyboard hit for ANSI to OEM conversation permanently but you have activated OEM Character Set in the View menu. Click on this menu item and you should get back to ANSI character set also for the view.

It's also possible to select the "OEM-Schrift mit fixer Zeichenbreite verwenden" (Used OEM Fixed Pitch Font) individually for every file extension at the font setting at Word Wrap/Tab Settings configuration dialog for the current selected extension(s) in the drop down list. So maybe this is set by mistake for your file. But I think, it is simple the OEM Character Set item.

If you never need OEM character set, you should customize the menus and remove all OEM menu items and also all keyboard assignments which handles OEM switching/conversion to avoid activating it by mistake. But don't edit the Advanced menu! Copy the Advanced menu to a new name with the Manage Menus function in the configuration dialog of the toolbars/menus and then customize your menu.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 16, 2006#9

Hello Mofi,

Thank you very much for that hint, now everything works as I want.
                    I assumed it could only be a little thing, but this annoyance drove me crazy for several days!

I don't know how it happend that 'OEM-Font' in the View-menu was activated. Normally I'm not tapping on my keyboard like a deranged blockhead.

Thank you very much.

Bye,
                    Roman

PS: I wonder that there are so many possibilities to make changes which influence the input and display of a character, and that they're so widley spread over the menus...

NewbieNewbie

Problem displaying accentuated characters

Feb 22, 2009#10

Hi, I am having a problem with french accentuated characters in UltraEdit v14.20, with Windows XP. When I open a file containing accentuated characters, other characters are displayed. For example, a file containing "éèàù" created using Notepad or Wordpad is displayed as "ÚÞÓ¨". Same when pasting a text from a text editor or a web browser. When I type "éèàù" in UE it is displayed correctly, but when I then copy/paste this into another application, it yields wrong characters. Saving (with ANSI/ASCII format) gives the same problem.

I do not have this problem when editing Unicode files, or when converting to Unicode, but I would like UltraEdit to behave like other text editors when working with non-unicode files... does someone have a suggestion?

I have read threads about similar problems on the forum (for example Using Turkish characters without using Unicode), but could not figure out any solution. :| I have already tried to configure the settings in the dialogs (View/Set font) and (Advanced/Set Code Page) in every possible way, I think...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Problem displaying accentuated characters

Feb 22, 2009#11

Click on View - OEM Character Set to disable the OEM codepage (old DOS character set) which you actually have active. If you can't see this command in the menu, see oem character set is gone? how to add it to the menu for being able to disable it.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 22, 2009#12

Well done, this solved the problem. I had to go through the procedure described in the thread you gave.

Just for my education, what was the "state" in which UE was, when I was having the problem? Is there a possibility to go back to this state (e.g. by mistake), or is it "gone" once and for all? The active code page (in View/Set code page) is the same as previous.

Anyway, thanks for the help, this behaviour was very annoying -- and I wouldn't have found the (weird) solution by myself, that's for sure!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 23, 2009#13

As I have described at Different font depending on file extension it is possible to enable the OEM character set just for files of a specific type (= specific file extension).

By default there is only Default in the drop down list in the configuration dialog Word Wrap/Tab Settings and therefore the font settings and the setting OEM Character Set which is by default not enabled are for all files. If you add to the list of extension new entries, you can specify the font and also the setting OEM Character Set individually for all files with the extension listed for the current extension list entry. In the INI this is saved for example with following for 3rd list entry:

[Settings]
                            File Extensions2=bat nfo
                            Force OEM2=1

[Font2]

For this file all files with the extension bat or nfo are viewed/edited with OEM Character Set while all other are edited/viewed with ANSI Character Set.

It looks like IDM has removed the command OEM Character Set from the menus and toolbars as also from available keyboard commands because most users don't need to edit files with old OEM character set and it was from time to time enabled by mistake. The INI settings still exist and advanced users can therefore still enable the OEM character set editing/viewing with keyboard conversion for specific files. And the ID for the command is also still recognized for a customized menu or toolbar.

An alternate method is to use File - Conversions - OEM to ANSI after loading a file with OEM character set, and use File - Conversions - ANSI to OEM before saving and closing the file. That method has the advantage to be able to copy text from / paste text into the file via the Windows clipboard in ANSI.

But back to your question: It now should be gone forever. Best remove the command from the menu to not enable it again by mistake.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 26, 2009#14

Thanks for your extensive followup, it does help clarifying things.

What puzzles me, is that I * never * activated the "OEM Character Set" option -- which was not available anyway. As far as I remember, the problem came up after updating from UE13 to UE14. I had not activated this option in UE13 either, of course, but maybe the configuration went wrong during the update. Strange. And I had no means to deactivate this option (other than your solution, which solved the problem, but which is not quite straightforward, to say the least :) ).