Setting search (and replace) in Selected text

Setting search (and replace) in Selected text

Power UserPower User

Feb 20, 2006#1

When you start a search [Ctrl+F] in UE, if you have a selected text then it defaults to searching for that selected text in the entire file. This is fair enough.

If you start a Find/Replace [Ctrl+R] it defaults to finding the selected text in the selected text... This one's a bit suspect.

My real point is that in new User Interface design, the trend is to synchronize what's going on in the main window and the search window more intuitively...

For example, [Ctrl+F] also had a ( ) Selected Text then if I change the text in the Find What box, then the scope would change to (*) Selected Text from ( ) Current File. If I switched back to the main window and removed the selection, the Find scope would change to (*) Current File - since there's no longer any selected text.

This would work exactly the same way with Replace. Microsoft VS works in a similar way...

If this gets support I'll submit to IDM (as I did with the RegEx suggestion)

Paolo
    There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
    Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

MasterMaster

Feb 20, 2006#2

Hi Paolo,

If I think about it ... I never had a "problem" with the "old" behaviour.
      But I agree that your approach is smarter and more logical.
      Lets see what other people mean...

rds Bego
      Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Power UserPower User

Feb 25, 2006#3

Hi Bego,

Looks like no one else is interested. If people would like me to put in an enhancement request to IDM, can they indicate?

Paolo
        There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
        Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

MasterMaster

Feb 25, 2006#4

Hi Paolo,

I regard this here as "huge demand".
          Write to IDM what they think about it !

;-) Bego
          Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 17, 2006#5

Hi Folks,

What Paolo wrote seems to be fine, why not have a smarter search/replace window?

My question is what others think about having following functionality:

Ctrl-R would set "Replace where" depending on the amount of text selected:
            1/ if the selection includes more than one lines, "Selected Text" is choosen and "Find What" is sett to current word (or words if cursor is between two words)
            2/ if the selected text is part of a single row, "Entire file" is chosen, and Find what defaults to the selected text.

Regards from Budapest
            Miklós

NewbieNewbie

Aug 21, 2006#6

Yes, this would be great.

Especially if starting Replace dialog with a text selected would choose Replace Where: Selected Text option by default. This would save a lot of trouble.

Basic UserBasic User

Yes, I like this feature

Jan 13, 2007#7

Yes, I like this feature and I second this request to IDM.

Dalibor

NewbieNewbie

Feb 19, 2007#8

Yes, I've had a serious issue for this for a while. If you have multiple lines selected, the find/replace should default to 'selected text' not 'entire file'. Sucks to change the entire file by accident.

Mar 21, 2007#9

I assume this hasn't changed in V13 - only reason I'd be interested in upgrading. This is enough of a pain that I'm going to start looking for another editor. This bites me in the butt all the time.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 21, 2007#10

I agree this is a good idea. Actually i already sent a feature request for a smarter search and replace, but i guess it's nice if others send a request as well. If several people make the same request i assume it's greater chance that we will see such a feature soon.

I used several text editors and most of them already have a smarter search and replace instead of manually have to choose. The most silly thing i think is when you have no text selected and still "selected text" might be the default choice if that's what you did for your previous search and replace.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 21, 2007#11

Well darn I was hoping this was changed in V13 - would have upgraded.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 15, 2009#12

Any status update on this feature getting implemented?

When I do a find or find/replace and have highlighted text, I expect it to default to 'selected text'.

Thank you!