Does UltraEdit support "plugins"?

Does UltraEdit support "plugins"?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 02, 2009#1

I was specifically wondering if there were any HTML or WYSIWYG tools for webpage development? Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 02, 2009#2

UltraEdit has lots of features already implemented for HTML editing. Third party tools like HtmlTidy are also already installed with UltraEdit and ready for usage. There is the command Toggle Browser View to see your HTML code as interpreted by the browsers - the engine used here is your installed IE. See the power tip Integrated HTML preview for details about the browser view. Third party tools and applications for editing/viewing HTML files can be integrated by you with up to 25 user and up to 25 project tools.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 02, 2009#3

Thanks Mofi.
        Mofi wrote:UltraEdit has lots of features already implemented for HTML editing. Third party tools like HtmlTidy are also already installed with UltraEdit and ready for usage. There is the command Toggle Browser View to see your HTML code as interpreted by the browsers - the engine used here is your installed IE.
        What about if I don't use IE? I use Firefox ..
        Mofi wrote:Third party tools and applications for editing/viewing HTML files can be integrated by you
        Is there a list of these third party apps and tools, and specifically are there any that do WYSIWYG html?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 03, 2009#4

Burma wrote:What about if I don't use IE? I use Firefox ..
          Good HTML pages are written to work with all browsers and display the content identical in all browers. But the built-in command Window - Show File in Browser opens the current file in the default browser. Viewing a HTML file with other browsers can be done by using a user tool as already written - see for example View in Firefox / Explorer / Opera.
          Burma wrote:Is there a list of these third party apps and tools, and specifically are there any that do WYSIWYG html?
          No. Every users has its own preferred tools. On this website no list for third party HTML editing helping tools exist. And UltraEdit is a text editor, not a WYSIWYG HTML editor. If you want a WYSIWYG HTML editor, you need to buy MS Frontpage, Dreamweaver or others. There are also free WYSIWYG HTML editors, although they are limited in their capabilities. Just one hint: a REAL "what you see is what you get" HTML editor does not exist. Every WYSIWYG HTML editor uses only 1 HTML rendering engine and so you get what you see only when the webpage visitor uses the same HTML rendering engine, except you are very good in HTML and CSS writing.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 03, 2009#5

Mofi wrote:
            Burma wrote:What about if I don't use IE? I use Firefox ..
            Good HTML pages are written to work with all browsers and display the content identical in all browers.
            A philosophy that many Web developers don't share. Especially when dealing with IE, which is notoriously non-standards-compliant compared to other browsers.

Question: why does this tool,

render in IE as opposed to another engine? What was the motivation behind that choice?

MasterMaster

Apr 04, 2009#6

While IE is not the browser of choice for most developers, it is the most widely used browser.

A good developer is going to test across multiple browsers, but since UltraEdit has been a Windows program, and Windows ships with IE, then it is more likely that IE will be available than Firefox. You have the option of configuring other browsers through the use of Tools, so that you can set them all up. This one just happens to be the one that is "preconfigured."
                “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 04, 2009#7

Burma wrote:IE is notoriously non-standards-compliant compared to other browsers.
                  Not really anymore, when creating STRICT HTML 4.01 files and correct declared at top of the file. Than even several years old IE6 runs in standard compliant mode (as much as possible for this old browser). There are still some differences between the browsers because of bugs and because of different interpretations of the standard because the HTML 4.01 standard lets some room for different interpretations. But with using CSS 2.1 it is possible to get exactly the same layout in all browsers, if they have not a bug.

For all webpage writers following articles are very interesting:

CSS Enhancements in Internet Explorer 6
                  !DOCTYPE switch in Windows Internet Explorer 8
                  The Opera 9 DOCTYPE switches
                  Mozilla's DOCTYPE sniffing
                  Activating Browser Modes with Doctype